Alone

This story doesn't talk much about me or how difficult I can be...
You still don't know who I am right.
Well, I'm here to tell you a story, a part of my life and Zoé's that perhaps you have left in the past, in some deep corner of your mind. We go back to the beginning of everything before Zoé's operation. Before she went deaf and blind.

Zoé's father, whom many know as Nabal Henderson, a foolish man.

Mr. Henderson was a liar, he lied to all of us, that is to say to me and Zoé but bluntly.

It was the end of the month and we didn't have money to pay the bill, we were going to be homeless, the question now would be why?

Nabal Henderson was a man who wore dirty clothes, a fan of alcohol, bearded with a look that emitted tiredness, laziness. Anyone who had looked him in the eyes would have said "this person has bad habits" without the need to think twice.

He "worked" or at least that's what he made us believe, every day, every night he left our apartment and told us that he was going to work, of course it was hard to believe that someone like him would work... I decided to follow him. All those nights he was out partying and coming home drunk, walking as if he were carrying weight in his pants. I didn't wanted to get divorced, I didn't wanted to take care of Zoé alone, but I realized all too often that I was always doing it alone, that was what gave me the strength to get divorced. Nor had he planned for Zoé to become blind and deaf. She was 3 years old and she couldn't hear or see her mother. That really left me devastated.

                                                *

Until after the operation, Zoé had always been the center of attention due to her disability. And she still has a hard time adjusting to having other people in his life. But Zoé is not a bad person, she just needs to get used to it.

Now that we are in Rochester with my mom and dad, and with Zoé's friends and their family, I feel like... I'm not the only one who cares about Zoé now that Zoé has friends and stuff. She looks happy, I haven't seen Zoé suffer in years, I only remember her when she tried to do things on her own and they didn't turn out well, she screamed and cried, the only one there for her was me. I no longer see her cry, nor suffer from it, I see her happy and that makes me happy...

Thinking about this. Zoé cut my thoughts short with the sound of the door entering, while Wren and Mesion watched television.

- Mom, why have you never told me how you met dad?

I thought, Zoé, what a bad time to talk about this, but come take advantage of the fact that I have the topic in mind.

- Well, Zoé, we were young. He was a little older than me and since we were at a party we started talking and...