Chapter 1 - Last Encounter

-10 years ago-

After a long training session with her best friend Ino, Sakura was on her way home. Life was good, she was scheduled to go on a mission the following day with her boyfriend and Naruto the Idiot. She was excited for a new adventure, in a way she treated these missions as prolonged dates with Sasuke.

Dating him was difficult, but the best part of her life. She had a crush on him since before the Ninja Academy, so when he finally asked her out, she felt like her life was a daydream. He could be difficult to deal with, his past was quite cruel and brutal, which made him very reclusive and almost anti-social. Sakura spent years trying to help Sasuke come out of his shell, and he was making great progress. They were inseparable, and she was the only person who ever made him laugh.

Her mind was a bit heavy, though. A month ago, Sasuke had a nasty encounter with his brother Itachi Uchiha, who killed their entire clan. Sasuke aimed to kill his brother, so when he absolutely overpowered Sasuke, his spirit broke in a sense. He started to isolate himself more, and went back to his reclusive self. While Sakura was worried about him, she thought this was a rough patch they would overcome together, and use it as a motivator to train even harder as a team.

As she made the turn on her street, her eyes widened.

"Sasuke?" she whispered. While confused, a smile appeared on her face. "Sasuke!" She waved.

"Sakura... Why are you out so late? " he mumbled, visibly disappointed by the encounter

"It's all good, I was training with ino. I was practising chakra concentration, it's actually going so well! And ino was... wait... why do you have a backpack on?"

Silence. She felt a sharp pain in her chest, her heart was pounding. "Sasuke?!"

After a minute of avoiding eye contact, he finally spoke.

"Sakura, I really wish we didn't have to run into each other this way, this only makes things much harder. Listen Blossom, I want you to know that this has nothing to do with you. You have been... incredible" he said, starting to walk toward her, stopping right next to her.

"Sasuke, what is going on? Is this about Itachi? Please, let's go to my place, I will make us some tea, and we can talk abo-"

"I am leaving, Sakura. There is nothing for me here. I will never obtain the strength I need to defeat someone like my coward of a brother. I am not cut out for this life. I can not spend forever going on dates with you, and eating ramen with that idiot Naruto. Orochimaru reached out to me, and I have decided that he is my best shot at fulfilling my purpose."

Sakura stood there speechless, holding back tears.

"Sasuke-kun," she smiled through her tears, "you are not thinking straight, you're upset, please, we can train harder, we can train with strongest Konoha ninj-"

"Sakura. Thank you for everything. You have been my rock for all my life, and-"

"STOP IT!" Sakura screamed. "Then take me with you! Sasuke, I can not stay here without you! I love you so much, please, please I can not watch you leave." She was fully sobbing, frozen in place, trying to focus on her breathing.

"You will only slow me down. This has been decided, Sakura. I will never forget you."

"I will scream! I will wake up everybody, and they will chase you down! I'm sorry but this is not the right decision!! The likes of Orochimaru are not to be messed with. Sorry Sasuke but I can not watch you do this to yourself, I-" Suddenly, she felt a sharp pain in her neck area, and things started to blur. "Sa-su-ke...", she collapsed, caught by Sasuke.

*This is the closest I've come to crying in a while,* Sasuke thought. *I have cried of anger, but not like this.* He hugged her unconscious body. *Goodbye Sakura...*

He disappeared into the night, onward to Orochimaru's hideout.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hi everyone! This is my first fanfic!! I am so excited, I have been into SS fanfics/movies for so long, maybe like 15 years lol. I can not believe I have finally mustered the courage to write my own. I have so so so many ideas for stories, and I hope I get to finally share it with you all. Please give feedback! And also! Let me know if yall want recommendations for other sasusaku content <3