CHAPTER 36

FIRE STOOD UNDER THE WARM, soothing spray of a shower, trying to wash away all the emotions and guilt that were stuck on his skin. He had spent the whole day with Tonya, saying nothing but just watching how his mate enjoyed every minute of laughing with the mortal kids.

She was loud the whole time, and he had never seen her as lively as that.

She was happy, even more than he ever made her while they were together.

That hurts. But then he wouldn't say anything about it. Definitely not.

'The hell...' He couldn't even remember how he tolerated the whole ordeal. Once or twice, he was pushed to the brink of wanting to hurt the kids. It was jealousy. He wanted to burn them, but then he didn't. His mate had held him back. Over and over so softly that he didn't even manage to fight back.

'Brutal...' Fire took the shower head and placed it against his toned arm. That was the exact part where a kid clung to him while Tonya checked the child for any burns.

The dragonettes found a way to discreetly do their jobs. They healed his mate's stewards one by one without being noticed. They were introduced by Tonya as her pets. Iguana's, she said, which almost made Albert talk when he shouldn't.

'You really did it this time, love. You really did—'

That was when Fire heard the shower door open behind him. Through the fog filling the whole room, he saw Tonya cut through, making him put the shower head back where it belonged.

"I'm still washing their scents off. Anything urgent?"

"Nothing," she replied, edging to his side and making him see her naked body. He gulped heavily, seeing how her beautiful hair flattened under the water. Droplets of it rolled down sensually to her flushed cheeks, then down to her silky neck, before touching their mating mark. Then eventually, the water reached her pair of luscious breasts that never stopped begging to be touched.

'Always damn fuckable...' He gritted his teeth.

"Step out of this place if you don't want to be sore between your legs—"

His mouth stopped warning when Tonya lifted a hand and cupped his cheek. His mate was so close—so tangible—that he almost believed that his missing heart skipped a beat when she soundlessly mouthed, 'Thank you.'
.
.
.

TONYA FELT HIS WHOLE BODY still in her hand.

Fire was wet. He had been staying under the water for a long while, and she sure knew why. He was disgusted with the kids, and he didn't like the scent the mortals left on his skin. However, he chose not to leave her side the whole time she was in the orphanage too.

The fire dragon tried. She knew he did. Hard. And it was more than enough for the flame on her chest to swirl around faster and faster, mimicking the heartbeats under it.

Her gaze slowly trailed down from staring at his face and then at the wound on his chest. The opening was sealed by flames protecting it—not letting her see what was inside, but then letting her know that there was nothing inside it to see either. It was hollow.

Unwittingly, her hand slid down, touching him with just the tip of her fingers—chin, neck, clavicle—before shakily inching closer to his mark.

Was his wound hurting a lot? How torturous was it to have to live with an open wound for the rest of eternity? She could only guess. "Fire, who did this?"

"Don't."

Tonya sucked in a breath when the brute suddenly grabbed her wrist and then forcefully made her turn. One moment they were facing each other, and the next, her back was already pressed against his hard chest as her hands leveraged against the tiled wall. "I was just curious. I wanna know—Ugh!"