CHAPTER 41

TONYA HAD ALREADY EXPERIENCED a lot of heartaches and confusing things in her life before. Like the time in her childhood when someone picked her up from her aunt's house and brought her to the orphanage. That had taken a long time to recover from. Waking up every day together with other kids who were basically strangers wasn't exactly what a good childhood is about. Questioning herself over and over about why her aunt gave her away never ended in just twenty-four hours.

This felt pretty much like that situation.

Fire was keeping a secret, and the quizzing just won't stop.

The rain was still falling from the dark sky, like it was being poured from a pitcher. Taking her last few steps home, she stopped right before the apartment door, whispering to herself, "Brave it."

How was she supposed to react in front of him now? She was more than sure that Spitfire would question where she went and why she cut their link? Could she tell him that he went out to search for his heart? That she had spent hours trying to figure out things he wouldn't tell her?

She knew no one in history who'd been happy to find out that someone tried sticking their nose in their business. Dragon or not, she knew that what she did would piss Spitfire off.

"Don't chicken out." Tonya sucked in a breath and squared her wet shoulders. What she had in mind could either result in something catastrophic or good for her—or maybe both of them since she was certain that it would take its toll on him too.

Although her knees were trembling due to the coldness biting her ass, her heart was solid, and it knew what it wanted. It wanted a complete Spitfire, not the heartless version who was forcing himself to stay.

"He is worth a try." Tonya closed her eyes as she collected all the strength she had. Then, not even giving herself a chance to back out, she pushed through the door and tiptoed straight to her bedroom. All the lights inside her home were turned off since it was already past midnight. Summoning one's courage wasn't an easy task anyway, and yes, she did take her time doing it.

"Just try once more..."

She found a shirtless Spitfire sleeping in her bed as soon as she opened her room. His hollow mark was exposed, burning as always while casting an amber glow on everything.

The brute looked beaten up, although his eyes were closed, and he was breathing evenly. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess what he did after she cut their link. She knew that he looked for her under the freezing rain and into the pool of mortals. His wet jacket and pair of jeans, carelessly dumped at the foot of the bed, already gave those away.

'This is it.' Tonya bit her lips, took all of her wet clothes off, and crawled to the bed with him. Then, before her willpower faded away, she swung a leg over the man, sitting astride his hips.

Almost instantaneously, the brute woke up with a jolt, reflexively throwing a murderous hand to grab her delicate neck. Tonya stopped him by quickly catching his wrist, pinning it down on his pillow, and taking advantage of the brute's momentary shock.

How was she supposed to beat Spitfire's physical strength, if not of that anyway? He had the force and stamina of a beast—because he IS a beast.

When he finally focused on her, he frowned, stopped fighting, and eventually... turned cold. "Bloody hell—"

She shut him up with her mouth again, taking advantage of his sudden surprise. She pressed her lips hard on him, kissing him the best way she knew how, as if ravaging his mouth. But of course, it didn't last more than just a few seconds before the brute fought back and turned his stoic face away.