CHAPTER 40

'IT WOULDN'T HURT YOU IF YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH.'

Tonya wasn't having a good day, and it was no secret. She cried a little, and that was no secret either. Fidgeting with the coin Dr. La Luchi gave her, she took refuge as she sat inside the metro train. She was on her way back to South Street—disillusioned, confused, and everything else negative.

The coin felt smooth against her fingers, and staring at the three worn-out characters etched on it had been her temporary distraction. Her mind was in chaos, and it was all Spitfire's fault.

It was raining hard in Klaire City at three o'clock in the afternoon. Contrary to how hot it was earlier, the wind was now chilly, as if the sun didn't rise that day at all. Thousands and thousands of raindrops were hitting the metro roof at that time, creating a white noise similar to legions of fingers tapping together.

Taking an inward breath, Tonya filled her lungs with the scent of rain, hoping for it to relax her, but...

'Darn, Spitfire...' she silently groaned, realizing how hard it still was to breathe. It immediately distracted her from the coin and had her slip the token back into her apron. That wasn't so nice since she had wanted a momentary rest from him. She was exhausted after talking with Lana, and her blue eyes couldn't hide that fact.

'Why does wanting to know you more feel like a crime?' Her mind looped to the questions she has been blatantly asking herself over and over. 'What's with your history, Spitfire? Who the hell are you? '

[Approaching Station 36 South Street, Klaire City. Passengers for Station 36, kindly proceed to the podium.]

That was when the electronic sound coming from the metro speaker cut through Tonya's thoughts and had her gaze propping up to the digital map near the door. Blinking out of her trance, she slowly stood up and trudged between the other passengers, getting ready to step out of the train.

Lana made it clear that she wouldn't talk more than saying absolutely nothing. However, thinking about the lady's reactions and statements also made it clear to her that the Wicca knew Spitfire and the other dragons more than any mortals.

'Including me, although I am his mate...' She swallowed hard the bitterness that coated her tongue. Then, shooting a glance at the winking sign just on top of the door, she waited for the glass door to open.

She needed more breathing space than what that train had. The air was getting thinner in that place, and she couldn't breathe.

'I hate you sometimes, Spitfire... I swear, I do hate you with all of my heart...'
.
.
OVER, UNDER, and then eventually ending up face-to-face with one of the creatures he hated most. Spitfire was making a puddle near the counter of Brews at three thirty in the afternoon.

He was aware of that as he flatly stood there. He could even feel his feet squelching inside his boots because of the water that got in his shoes.

Fire's search for his missing mate was far from pleasing. His skin had been tingling the whole time he was inside the crowded metro train. He had been so bent on wanting to burn everyone squeezing with him in the wagon.

It could have been a very easy thing to do. The relentless buzzing inside the train had amplified his headache. He wouldn't mind being the murderer again at that time.

Down to his last string, he scanned all the faces around him with his seething gaze. He was in the nick of starting an arson when he accidentally saw something that made him halt at once—a tiny baby girl looking back at him. She was blue-eyed, toothless, and innocently smiling while leaning her chubby cheek against her mother's shoulder.