× Angelica ×

In the heart of a sprawling, labyrinthine fortress, I was escorted by Alexei, the villain's older, loyal minion

In the heart of a sprawling, labyrinthine fortress, I was escorted by Alexei, the villain's older, loyal minion. As we ambled through dimly lit corridors, our footsteps echoing through the eerie silence, I couldn't resist a question that had been gnawing at my mind.

"Why does he do it?" I whispered, my voice barely audible.

Alexei, a lanky figure with piercing blue eyes and a stoic demeanor, halted in his tracks. Confusion flickered across his face. "Forgive me," He said, his voice raspy with disuse, "But to what do you refer?"

I chuckled softly, realizing the vagueness of my query. "I mean, why does Lennox do what he does? Why the evil deeds, the kidnappings, the relentless pursuit of vengeance?"

A strange expression crossed Alexei's face as if a long-buried memory had been stirred. "Lennox's motivations," He began, his voice uncharacteristically contemplative, "are deeply rooted in the past. Like many who succumb to the allure of darkness, he was not always this way."

Alexei's eyes glazed over, and I sensed a hint of sadness in his tone. "Once, he was just a boy, orphaned at a young age. His mother, the only person who ever truly loved him, fell ill and desperately needed the help of a renowned hero."

"But tragedy struck when the hero, consumed by his self-importance, refused to come to her aid. Lennox watched helplessly as his mother succumbed to her illness, consumed by a bitter rage that would forever alter the course of his life."

My heart sank with compassion. I had always seen Lennox as a heartless villain, devoid of redeeming qualities. But Alexei's words painted a different picture, revealing a wounded soul consumed by a thirst for vengeance.

"Years later," Alexei continued, "Lennox sought revenge on the hero who had condemned his mother to a cruel fate. He killed the hero's beloved child, an act that shattered the hero's spirit and set him on a path of self-destruction."

A chill ran down my spine as I realized the extent of Lennox's pain. His evil deeds were not merely born out of malice but out of a profound and misguided need for justice. 

Silence fell upon us as we continued to walk around the extended place, but the sound of Alexei's phone vibrated causing him to pull it out and answer it. 

"Da, nachal'nik?" He said, his voice deepened. He stayed quiet for a second before hanging up and glancing at me with a hardened gaze.

"Lennox would like to see you, allow me to take you to the library." 

I nodded and followed behind him, curious about why he wanted to see me.