𝓉𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒

Ridhima

I was sitting in my room with unshed tears in my eyes, when suddenly the door burst open and my mother walked in. Her face had a worried expression, eyebrows frowned and she looked at me and quickly came to my side.

"Laado..." My mom said and I immediately fell into her arms, my heavy heart waiting to find some peace.

"What is happening, Mumma?" I ask her after pulling away from the hug. "Who was the woman everyone was calling Rani-Sa? What happened to Gauri Aunty? And Dev Uncle, where is he?"

There were some more things I wanted to say and ask. Like why Hruday was announcing his engagement to that girl? I think back to how they looked sitting beside each other; how perfect they matched in everything including status and looks. Anyone would take one look and say they were a perfect pair then why did my heart hurt remembering the image of them together?

It was only a promise made by our fathers when we were younger. Maybe I was wrong at taking it too seriously. Maybe I was the foolish one to keep him in my heart all this time, to save his space in my heart when he had already left the empty childhood promises behind and moved on.

But he did recognize me. Even that small thing was enough to rekindle my hope.

"Riyu, I will explain everything. But why did you come here without telling me? And how did you get inside this room?"

"I had the key. They never changed the lock."

My mother went silent, as if she was thinking about something.

"Riyu, you must come with me immediately. If anyone knows you are staying in this room, they will create a scene."

I looked at my mother confused.

"But this is my room."

"It was your room, Riyu." My mother informs me in a lowered voice, her eyes not meeting mine. "Everything around here has changed. Nothing is the same as it was."

"Rani-Sa and Raja-Sa met with an accident eight years ago

"Rani-Sa and Raja-Sa met with an accident eight years ago. Rani-Sa was hospitalized for a long time but she could not make it."

"Gauri Aunty is no more?" I say my voice trembling. I could not believe it. She was the sweetest woman I knew after my mother; her eyes were kind and her hands were as gentle as her words. Whenever I looked at her, I couldn't help but think that she was perfect woman to be the Queen. I wanted to be like her one day. Hearing this news makes my heart heavy. Why did God do this to such a pure soul?

"Yes, Riyu. Rani-Sa has left us." My mother said, wiping the tear that was falling down her cheek. She was good friends with her and I can see that she is hurting from the loss.

"Raja-Sa had to re-marry even though he was against it. He tried very hard to oppose the re-marriage but eventually gave up against the burden of responsibilities. The new Rani-Sa..." My mother's voice fades.