𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃

Ridhima

"There you are, my dear." Rani-Sa smiles when I finally enter her room. It is my first time being here and I feel like I am the most inexpensive thing in this room. Calling it a room feels like shame because an entire family can live inside this so-called room. There is a big glass chandelier hanging on the ceiling, so beautiful it is hard to take my eyes away from it. An entire mini-room inside of that room is dedicated for dressing space with large cupboards and full-size mirrors. The paintings of various Queens from Indian history are hanging on the walls, framed with golden frames.

"You called for me, Rani-Sa."

"Just call me Maa-Sa. You are my soon to be daughter-in-law after all." She says, smiling. Her smile is never real, I can always sense another objective behind it. She uses her smiles and kind words to get you to do as she wants.

"Anyways, I called you here because I have already talked to our Purohit Ji and he has suggested that in a week from now is the perfect mahurat for your and Hruday's engagement."

I cringe at her words. She decided about mine and Hruday's important day just as she pleases? And what about my mother, she should have at least asked her to get involved in all this. I can never trust this woman's intentions.

"So, it is my dearest wish that you and Hruday go together and pick out all the things you will need. Including your dresses and rings."

"That's really not necessary-"

"Don't worry. Here's my card. Consider it as an engagement gift."

"Rani-Sa, this is not about the money. I think Ru- the Yuvraaj is a busy man. Surely, he doesn't have enough time for all this."

"He has freed up his schedule for today, my dear. Even if he doesn't have time, he has to make time for his future wife." Rani-Sa smiled and winked at me.

I nodded uncomfortably and left the room. Why do I have a feeling she is planning something?

I walk up to where the assistants told me Hruday was waiting for me, all out of breath

I walk up to where the assistants told me Hruday was waiting for me, all out of breath. As soon as I knew he was waiting I had quickly rushed to my room, my old room by the way, and changed into something else. I know he does not look at me that way and that he is holding a grudge over something I don't even know bout, but I still stupidly want to look good in front of him. Especially after last night when he saw me in the funny pajamas and braided her.

Today I chose a soft white kurti that has chikankari work over it and wore a matching white bow in my hair in a half ponytail. Of course I could not forget my favourite color, so I put on a small pair of pink jhumkas. For footwear I chose simple ballet shoes so that I can walk comfortably.

When I reach up to the car, Hruday is standing there. Again, he is dressed in formal clothes, but this time he is not wearing a tie and the first two buttons are open. He is leaning against the car, and the sleeves of his shirt are folded up, exposing his arms that look so firm and strong. I wonder if he goes to the gym.