𝒻𝑜𝓊𝓇𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃

Hruday

As we stepped out into the bustling streets of Ajmer, the energy of the annual fair enveloped us. Ridhima was practically bouncing with excitement, her laughter ringing out as she took in the sights and sounds around us.

Watching Ridhima on this tour is like watching a child who has been brought to an amusement park for the first time. Her white dress is twirling with her, the golden and rose gold colours in it reflecting under the Rajasthan sun. Yet her face glows the brightest, the bright smile making every other thing pale in comparison.

There are stalls lined with intricate items showcasing everything from the traditional items showcasing the vibrant culture of our state to modern items. In the distance, one can see the big rides reaching for the clouds. I am secretly hoping Ridhima does not notice the Ferris wheel because there is no way in hell I am letting her near that thing.

Every time she ventured a little too far ahead, I discreetly signalled to my bodyguards to keep a close watch on her.

"Follow her. If you lose sight of her, you lose your job." I command them.

I don't want to crowd her personal space by making them hover but after what happened at the party, I have to take my preventative steps. She's too naïve and trusting.

The bodyguard nods, quickly making his way over to her.

"Hruday!" She calls my name. "Look at this, we should get this for Avu!"

I look at the doll in her hand. It is a traditional Kathputli doll, wearing a sparkly yellow dress with big eyes and painted red cheeks.

I frown. "Who the hell is Avu?"

She makes a face and turns to me, giving me an exasperated look. "Avni!"

"I think her birth name is perfectly fine." I say to her.

"You're so boring! We're Avu, Riu and Ishu." She tells me like it is common knowledge. "Anyways, I'm getting this for her."

"Wait, what- Ishu? Don't tell me Ishaan is a part of this?" I ask, distaste evident in my voice.

"He is." Ridhima tells me with a smug smile.

"And I'm not?" I ask her. She pouts and turns away from me, combing the doll's fake hair so gently like it were real. The smell of the flowers in her hair hits my senses when she turns around and for a moment, I feel almost weak on my knees. The flowers match perfectly with her white dress and are tucked neatly into a braided bun.

"Not anymore." Ridhima answers, intentionally being stingy.

"Fine. We're not getting that doll. Not anymore." I say, starting to walk away.

"Hruday!" Ridhima whines, grabbing onto the hem of my shirt. The action causes me to stop in my tracks. I turn around to look at her and then at her grip on my arm. She realises her actions and lets me go.

"Look at it. It looks exactly like Avu! Don't you want to get her a present?"

I look at the doll. It does look a little bit like Avni. The thought makes me smile.

"Pack this." I say after a few seconds, signalling to the shopkeeper. It brings the brightest smile to Ridhima's face.

"Thankyou!" She gleams, adoringly looking at the doll while I look at her.

Without realizing, Ridhima starts dragging me from one stall to the next as she chattered excitedly about everything she saw. Her eyes gleamed with delight at each new discovery. She was like a kid in a candy store, her curiosity piqued by every colourful trinket and exotic item on display.