𝒻𝒾𝓋𝑒

Ridhima

I wait in the lobby for another half hour. Apparently, Hruday has a meeting scheduled that cannot be postponed. It is difficult to wait here because when I came here, I gathered all the confidence I had. But now as time flies and I think about the fact that I would actually have to talk to him, it makes me nervous.

Even the man who helped me sneak inside the palace is here. He gives me a knowing smile but I was too busy with my thoughts to properly talk to him. So, he is related to Hruday.

"The Yuvraaj is ready to see you, Miss Gaur." A woman comes to inform me. I thank her and pick up my document to go.

But as I get up to walk a very loud silence fills the entire office. The sound of heels clicking is heard and when I turn to look at the source, it is none other than the Rani-Sa herself. She walks with confidence and each step she takes is filled with pride. Her bright red dress boasts of her position and power. She does not have the gentleness of Gauri Aunty. All I can feel from her is authority.

I step back so that I don't come in her way but to my biggest surprise, she stops exactly in front of me. Her face lifts with a smile and Rani-Sa takes off her sunglasses and hands it over to one of her assistants. Then her eyes meet mine and I feel a chill. It seems like she came here for a purpose and she will not back down until she achieves it.

"So, you are beautiful as well, Ms. Ridhima." She says, lifting my chin. "How very convenient."

The three of us stand in complete silence

The three of us stand in complete silence. We are now in Hruday's cabin, my first time being here and I am already feeling uncomfortable because of Rani-Sa's demanding presence.

"Oh, please sit down, my dear." The Rani-Sa says, signaling to the sofa. "This is not a business meeting. Just some good old family bonding."

I look at Hruday but he is already making a stiff expression and glaring at the wall behind Rani-Sa. It makes me think what this is about.

"Rani-Sa..." Hruday says and I notice that he does not address her as his mother. "I don't think this is the right time to-"

"Oh, this is the perfect time, Hruday." Rani-Sa dismisses him, looking at me and smiling. Her smile makes me uncomfortable.

"So, Ridhima... What brings you here today?" She asks me crossing her legs and leaning back on her seat.

"I had some business to discuss with Ru- The Yuvraaj." I say, almost saying his nick name out of habit. The Rani-Sa gives Hruday a knowing look. I wonder what is going on between them.

"And what must that business be, my dear?"

I take a breath. It is now or never. It is not like I am here asking for anything unusual anyway. My father invested his time, money and efforts in this business. It is only fair that my mother gets to live a comfortable life out of it. That my younger brother gets to have a secure future because of it. She does not have to keep on working at a job that makes her unhappy. I will withdraw all of my father's savings and transfer it to my younger brother. That way my mother will manage the funds until he is of age and both of them will lead a comfortable life.