Sp. 03- Aphmau's POV

Almost as soon as the village was plunged into chaos, Cadenza was taken by the so-called 'shadow souls.' Laurence and Vincent were the ones to recognize them almost immediately, and they briefly explained that the creatures seem stronger than they should be, which, according to Laurence, means they've been festering in the Nether for too long.

Vincent and Zack seem surprised that I joined the fight, instead of being ushered away. But most people are surprised when I step up, so I choose to ignore their reaction. "We need to go after her. Cadenza is a medium which means she could open the portal wider for actual Shadow Knights to come through." The group merges together after the shadow souls are defeated. Zack's words echo through the town square.

"We need to worry about where they took her. I wasn't aware there was a portal near Meteli." Laurence sheaths his sword in a fluid motion.

Zack shakes his head, seemingly in disbelief. "Neither were we, but that is the only explanation for their appearance."

"Well..." Vincent trailed off. "We do have the Shadress in town. I'd imagine it would attract her followers."

"What?" I asked.

"Shadow souls," Laurence emphasized as he turned to me. I saw anger pass across his face. "It's in the name." There's a brief pause. "Most Shadow Knights are told when they are transformed that the beings are followers of Shade. It spread into rumors about the beings after a few decades."

There's something off about them though... I thought with a confused scowl. Laurence judges her too quickly, and while there isn't much I can do about it, it doesn't mean it's any easier for me to hear his judgments.

"Where did she end up?" Katelyn questions, motioning to her right. "She isn't where we left her, perhaps she went with them wherever they were taken." Most of us turned to look where she was pointing.

Garroth shakes his head. "She was already gone when they showed up. I hadn't seen her the entire fight either." While I trust his judgment almost implicitly, Garroth is having the same issue as the rest of my guards. I don't get why people hate everything she does, no matter if it's good or not.

I cross my arms and sigh. "Do we have any proof that suggests she did this? I just want to be sure before we blame her."

"She isn't here, Aphmau." Laurence runs a hand through his hair, frustrated, most likely with me. "The woman is a known criminal; she's wanted for theft and possible murder. Not to mention the history she has with Zane." His words seem tired like he's explained this a thousand times.

I cross my arms. "Yeah, okay. That's clearly proof she's the reason the shadow souls are here and the fact that they took Cadenza." I close my eyes to secretly roll them before rubbing at my eyes to disguise the motion. When I open them again, almost everyone is frowning at me.

"Aphmau-"

I cut Garroth off with a raise of my hand. "No. It's fine. I'm just angry and tired, I guess. I apologize."

My guards all accept the apology in their own ways, but Zack seems to study me closer and Vincent looks toward the direction Cadenza was taken. Zack clears his throat. "Now, we should really start looking for our lord."

I nod. Right. There are more pressing matters at hand.