Ch. 11- Memories

It was mid-morning when she returned, in bed like nothing happened. I had been next to her bedside, reduced to watch duty while the others went to look for her. None of them believed me when I explained what had happened. They all thought it was my fault that she was gone.

It was a full minute after she reappeared before she sat up, stretching and yawning as though she had the best sleep of her life. It took her a few seconds before she was looking at me leaning against the wall.

"Shade?" She pressed out of bed, stretching one last time. "What are you doing here?"

I pushed off the wall, cracking my neck before explaining, "You've been missing since midnight. The others are out looking for you now."

"I didn't go anywhere." She looks a little panicked, eyes creasing with concern.

"I know," I speak softly to assuage her worries. "The others didn't believe me when I tried to explain what happened." I paused and studied her for a moment. She looked exactly like she did last night, her hair messed up due to sleep. The only difference was that slight eye bags were beneath the caramel. "What memory did you go through?"

My mind began to wander with the possibilities, so much time spent together, so much laughter. "You and I were together. We were planting trees alongside another woman. She was very pretty."

I think I know who it is, but in case I am wrong, I demand, "Describe her."

"She had blueish-gray hair, and her eyes were a pale blue. She was carrying a large gray staff with her, which had a glowing yellow gemstone held by the stained wood. I think she was dressed in dark blue." Aphmau sounded rather unsure of her description, but I know exactly who she is talking about.

I smile. "We'll see her later. The forest we were planting is the Sacred Forest in the middle of the region. There was only a clearing in the middle where we let travelers through, which has since closed up. You wanted to separate the east from the west to keep peace in the villages; which had worked for the longest time."

"Had?" she questioned, curiosity filling her eyes.

"The issues with O'Khasis. I'm sure Garroth has told you about it somewhat."

She looks down a frown on her face. "Laurence did. Well unintentionally."

I pondered what she meant for no more than a minute before I took a deep breath. "Alright. Let's go outside and see if any of the others are back."

As soon as we stepped outside, the sun seemed to shine even brighter, overjoyed by her return. I glared at Elio. My petty reaction to the celestial body was interrupted, however, when Cadenza came rushing to Aphmau's side.

"Aphmau! You scared us all half to death!" Cadenza hugged the other lord tightly. When she let go, Cadenza moved to hold Aphmau in place by her shoulders.

The raven-haired woman looked nervous. "I didn't mean to. It just... just happened." She sighed exasperatedly.

"What happened?" Cadenza asked quickly. "Actually, wait. I should send someone to round everyone else up. We don't need to be spending time looking for you when you're right here." She hurried off.

"I don't think I'm gonna like this," Aphmau mumbled.

I chuckle a little. "You'll do just fine."

Cadenza returned shortly after she left, out of breath and clearly in a rush. "Zack is looking for the others." I raise an eyebrow at the name. "Tell me what happened. Where did you go this morning?"

Aphmau glances at me. "A memory," she replies with a vague oversimplification of what occurred. "I was transported to a memory."

"A memory? What are you talking about?"