Ch. 08- Zane's Arrival

I recommend listening to Me and the Devil by: Soap&Skin

Today was the unfortunate day that Zane and his posse would be arriving at Phoenix Drop. We had gotten the notice a day after Aphmau had been shot that he had accepted my proposal, despite the fact that I was praying he wouldn't. I luckily have been praying to Helena – and just a little to Namid – both nights since, so my mana levels are quite high at this time, at least higher than they have been in a few months.

My wound has healed completely, with no trace of it ever occurring, but despite this, I know that the High Priest will graciously wonder how it is doing. I ponder how many people and who he is traveling with, trying to keep my attention on the open forest ahead of me. Knowing Zane, he would've brought him.

I was the sole person patrolling the outer gate this morning – it had taken a lot to convince Garroth to let me do it alone. I've been at it since Elio's first peek over the horizon. There's a pulse of heat that hits my back as I think of his name.

The sun's rays bounce off the intricate design on the ricasso of the blade, glaring back into my eyes briefly. I turn it away, the memory of the gift tainting my attention. I hadn't thought of him like that in a long time, and I don't know if I'm ready.

It was enchanted by shadow magic – something that had been cleverly done behind my back – which gave it a peculiar property. When killing someone with my sword, they turn into a shadowling, creatures that obey my every command. Essentially, a Shadow Knight but with a little more freedom and a little less human.

By the next time I looked up, there he stood, and the sun was just a little higher. Zane, surprisingly, didn't have an army with him. I could count the amount of people he had on one hand. It was him, Lillian, and three guards.

They could clearly see me, bathed in the sun, standing at the top of the gate looking down on them. Though, it wasn't like I was trying to hide the fact that I was there. This also meant they got a clear view of the shadow soul that materialized next to me with a small wave of my hand.

"Stoquin quadin lapdi opar yad marm jodina skawafo yad skala tegsels? Teg naat vee klovit felch." I spare no glance at the fog-like humanoid next to me. There is a silent and almost murderous staring contest between me and the beloved High Priest, and I don't intend to ever let him think he has the upper hand at anything.

From the corner of my eye, I see the creature bow. There is no mouth for it to murmur, "Iave vorvim, quadins byrnsel." Just like the creature is gone, and I am left staring at the group below my feet. It isn't until Zane concedes and motions to the still closed gate that I also concede from our contest.

I jump off the wall, landing in a crouched position to soften the landing on my knees. After a mere moment, I stand and meander my way over to the gate. My sword had stuck in the dirt as I used it to keep me stable. It vanishes as I lose contact with the handle before reappearing attached to my hip. "High Priest! How wonderful is it for my favorite irshup orbfen to show up at the gates of Phoenix Drop." If my tone wasn't enough, my condescending smile was enough to let him know the words were anything but friendly.

Before he can even respond, Aphmau and her guards approach me from behind. I purposely swing my head around hard enough for my hair to fly around – yet another signal that he is the least of my worries. "High Priest Zane," Aphmau greets with a colder voice than I have ever heard her use.

I turn to face the group once more as she approaches and stands beside me. A smile falls over my face at the sight of Zane's anger. "Lady Aphmau," he greets with a tone much the same as hers.

Learning from my mistakes before, I focus on any remaining auras that I am unaware of. I find two archers in the trees and at least two more foot soldiers hiding in foliage. That's more like the Zane I know.