Sp. 02- Laurence's POV

As I sit across from the woman we call Shade, I begin to wonder just how much she has actually done. Sure, Aphmau trusts her – way more than she should – but I am not the same. I have a duty to uphold, a service to Aph to make sure that she and all the people of this village are safe.

We have knowingly let a wanted criminal within these walls and she has already invited trouble with her in.

I think all of us feel solace that she hates Zane as much if not more than we do. But her brother was a clear wrench in her plan that she was not expecting. Her bright blue eyes give away the confusion she has with her brother.

She turns just a little to face Aphmau a little more. I'm too busy taking in her full appearance to really listen to what they are discussing, however, Garroth and Katelyn join in at a few points, so I know Aph is safe.

The closer I look, the more imperfections I notice. She has deep-set eye bags beneath her eyes, no doubt from the almost week she has already spent here and not slept. The only time I truly saw her rest was after she healed the arrow wound on Aphmau's side. Though I wonder how much of that was really restful.

There's a little scar starting right under her eye and ending just below her cheekbone. It's jagged and painful looking, clearly something that was created by a non-traditional weapon. I would think broken glass or something similar. From the way her hair cascades around her shoulders and spine, I can tell it is well-maintained.

Despite her complexion, there is not a singular mark of where the sun would've kissed it; it's perfectly pale and markless, aside from the scars that is. I wonder how much time she spends in the shadows if her skin is as clear as it is.

She briefly laughs about something Aphmau asked her, and my attention gets dragged to her eyes again.

Is that why she covers her upper face with shadows all the time?

It was clear her eyes were one of the most recognizable features she had, given that Katelyn and Garroth immediately thought of the old myth they had read in O'Khasis.

Wait. How old is that myth, anyway?

Most myths are thousands of years old, especially when they come from O'Khasis. But maybe the person who wrote the ledger accidentally included a modern tale in the book when they were writing it. Because the other option is that she's way older than she initially suggested.