Chapter 5: Conundrum

Vinn sat in his weight room, finishing a set in frustration, as Good Nicole paced the floor, looking nervous.

"What's up, honey? You look upset. You didn't watch the video did you?"

"A little bit of it."

"Oh honey, I'm sorry. I should have stayed and got you out of there. Why did you watch that? You didn't need to see that. I bet it was terrifying given what you've been through."

"Vinn you don't have to always protect me, especially from myself."

"Then who would I protect you from? There are no more monsters here to hurt you anymore, just yourself. I killed the other one...well, once at least. Apparently sometimes it doesn't take. That's all I have left to protect you from, just you." He said, hugging her lightly. She shed a single tear and wasn't sure for what.

"Hey, it's gonna be fine. Evil Nicole is just blackmailing us. She knows where to hit where it hurts, and we'll just...give her the money and the shirt and whatever computer stuff she needs, and she'll go away. You'll never have to face her again, and I'll never have to face the Kraken again."

"Yea, but...you won your battle. I don't think I did." She sighed.

"Clearly I didn't, he's alive. You'll win the fight next time. We'll work together and make it right. Whatever you're feeling, it's okay, I got you. I won't let anyone hurt you."

"Not even me." She said as he gave her an odd look.

"Wow, you do not seem okay, you need some rest and a hot bath or something. You want me to get you anything? Beverage, snack?"

"What if I just wanna hurt for a little while?"

"Alone or with help?" he asked.

"I don't know if you can help, Vinn. I don't know if you can even understand what I'm feeling."

"I know you, honey. You're just fighting yourself and afraid she's the stronger Nicole.

"She is." Nicole admitted. "They both are."

Dee stood with her mouth wide open and just kept turning to look at everyone else's expression. Jack and Vicki both just blank. Silverback, blinking a lot and rubbing his neck, Mel just eating popcorn.

"Yea, all that." Nicole said, as if telling the entire story up to the sex video. Vinn paced behind her, staring at the floor and dragging his feet.

"So he's just...back from the dead?" Dee blurted.

"Yep."

"You realize this is a trap." Jack pointed out. "You killed him and he's pissed off, so he stole a Nicole clone and did something to her."

"Yea he's doing lots to her, he's just releasing the Kocken every day, and she's lovin it."

"I mean like brainwashing or cult leader tactics. Drugs, memory alteration, classic Stockholm syndrome. He's trying to get you two on that ship so he can kill you both." Jack detailed. Did he say he wanted you two alone, or did he say lawyers could be involved?"

"They said lawyers." Nicole nodded.

"Good. I'm your lawyer now. I'll get my suit."

"Jack, when did you get a legal degree?" asked Vinn.

"I don't have a legal degree, I have a briefcase of tricks and a handgun rated to hunt Polar bear."

"Yea, I trust you way more with that, let's do that plan." Vinn nodded, Vicki shook her head.