chapter twenty two - over

"He won't—but I gladly will"Chapter 22: Over Season 5 Episode 22: Homecoming *Trigger Warning*

Chapter 22: Over
Season 5 Episode 22: Homecoming
*Trigger Warning*

Isabella arrived at MED, her heart racing as she rushed toward the small glass room where the group was gathered. Her eyes scanned the room, searching for the familiar face she needed to see.

"Where's Hank?" she asked, her voice choked with tears as she looked around anxiously.

"He's talking with the doctor right now," Antonio replied, his expression somber as he glanced at her.

"Oh—okay," she nodded, her voice trembling. She began pacing the room, her heels clicking rhythmically against the floor, the sound echoing her inner turmoil. Every few moments, she glanced at the clock, the seconds dragging by in agonizingly slow motion.

Finally, Hank walked into the room, his head hanging low, the weight of the world on his shoulders.

"How is he?" Antonio asked, the question heavy with dread.

Hank shook his head, his voice barely above a whisper. "He didn't make it."

The room fell into a stunned silence, the news hitting them like a ton of bricks. Isabella's legs gave out beneath her, and she collapsed onto the ground, a heart-wrenching sob escaping her lips as she shook her head in disbelief. Antonio quickly moved to her side, helping her onto a chair as he wrapped his arms around her, offering what little comfort he could.

Jay, unable to bear the weight of the loss, quietly left the room, his grief too overwhelming to share. Kim began to cry softly, and Adam crouched in front of her, gently running a hand down her back in a futile attempt to soothe her pain. Trudy sat down, biting her lip to keep her own tears at bay, while Kevin stood in silent disbelief, his hands on his waist, trying to process the devastating news.

Hank, his own heart shattered, walked over to Trudy and pulled her into a tight embrace. Together, they wept in each other's arms, the pain of losing one of their own too much to bear.

The room, once filled with the quiet hope of good news, was now heavy with grief, each person lost in their sorrow, struggling to come to terms with the heartbreaking reality.