𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝐈𝐧 𝐌𝐲 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐝

ʟᴇɪʟᴀɴɪ ᴍᴀʜᴇʟᴏɴᴀ

"Mom, what's this?" I ask, coming up behind her. The wind of the evening swayed her long hair as she breathed in the smell of home.

She had managed to put Kai down for his afternoon nap and he always throws temper tantrums that always tucker her out. Now wasn't the best time to bring this up, but I had waited long enough. I deserved to know.

She takes the picture out of my hand and gasps. Her hand covers her mouth, and her eyes start to brink tears. "W-Where did you get this, ko'u pua?"
|Hawaiian- My flower.|

I sat down next to her on the patio. "Grandma kept it in her things with my baby stuff. Ua like kēlā pēpē me aʻu mai kekahi kiʻi ʻē aʻe, ʻaʻole?"
|Hawaiian- That baby looks like me from another photo, no?|

She sniffles and wipes a tear from her eyes. She stares at the photo long and hard before rising from the patio. She grabs the matches on the chair in the back and lights one. She lights the photo on fire, and I scream out in shock.

"W-W-What...are you doing?" I whimper.

She throws the photo on the ground and watches it burn to a crisp. "Tomorrow, we're going to your nā kupuna kāne house and cleaning out every single trace of your baby pictures with him there." She stares at me hard as a tear drips down her cheek. ʻAʻole ʻike ʻo Kai."
|Hawaiian- Grandma. Kai will never know.|

----------------------------

Santiago and I leave the event early. I probably looked like a raccoon, but Santiago had the decency to not let me know. 

He gets us a cab and he cuddles me the entire ride. 

When we got back to the hotel, I was on my way to my room before he grabbed my arm and pulled me toward him. "C'mon, you're staying with me tonight, hermosa."

"Well, I have to take off my makeup and do my skincare routine," I counter. "I have nothing in your room."

Santiago nods. "Okay, we can stay in your room."

He opens my purse that's in his hands, but I stop him. "Santiago-, I had a pity party, but I'm good now. You don't have to babysit me all night, alright? You can go to your room."

Santiago stares at me momentarily before bringing me into a sickenly sweet kiss that weakens my knees. "I'm not here because I pity you, Leilani. I'm here because I want to be. I'm here because I want to be here with you."

I sigh and rest my head on his chest. "I want to call my mom."

He nods and kisses my forehead. "I have to finish packing anyway."