Chapter 28: Rulers

Third POV:

Sunny never thought that his parting gift would have such an impact on someone who usually remained unfazed by most things like Harus.

But giving it a thought, Sunny came up with another explanation.

Harus had killed whoever he was told to kill with no hesitation. As He often took pleasure in the misery of his victims. He was loyal to Gunlaug to a level that made it seem like he had willingly turned himself into Gunlaug's slave, a loyalty that was held even when the King of Bright Castle died in the previous round.

For Harus, serving his lord was the definition of his existence.

For someone like that, it was quite understandable how he had turned out so unstable like this.

Gunlaug had most likely sent Harus after the cohort in order to keep them within his reach in the Dark City and forfeit them from leaving its walls.

Not only was it the first time he failed his master's command as a Hitman, but he also sustained an injury.

That was surely a huge blow to Harus' pride and self-esteem.

Sunny made sure to use that to his advantage. All it took Sunny to enrage and provoke the unstable Harus was a simple message through the [Blessing of Dusk] enchantment and to line himself behind Nephis among the crowd.

Focussing solely on Sunny, Harus ignored everything else and made his way toward Sunny. Completely unaware of what consequences his actions might cause.

For everyone else, it seemed as if Harus was the one who made the first move, where in fact, it was Sunny all along.

"So this is how it's..."

Gunlaug's voice rang in the hall, completely silencing the audience as his suppressive aura weighed down on them.

It didn't take Gunlaug long to grasp the gist of the situation, turning to face the growling face of his hound.

"I never took you for someone who would fall so low."

It was unknown to whom his words were directed to. Although Sunny thought it was most likely directed at Nephis, Gunlaug had most likely taken Nephis as the mastermind behind the current situation.

Turning to face the new unpleasant guest, Gunlaug replied to Sunny's previous question in a low but steady tone:

"Sure, I shall not have any objections and so does my lieutenant. However, what about your....mistress? As a fair Lord such as myself I believe that my lieutenant is a bit out of your league. Sleeper Sunless, you have been in the Dark City for less than a year. Compared to Harus who stayed and served under me for years, do you believe that you are a match?"

Gunlaug was still playing mental warfare not only on Sunny and Nephis but also on the crowd in the hall. He was still demonstrating his authority and power, while also showcasing his abilities and resources to shake off the resolve of those who followed Changing Star by playing a game of words.

He was truly a Tyrant of a kind.

Soon Sunny replied.

"I'm quite confident in my ability to take your....hound with ease if you ask me."

Sunny's tone didn't display any emotion other than daring and mockery, despite withholding the full weight of Gunlaug's mental attack.

Gunlaug; unaware of Sunny's high immunity to mental attacks, continued.

"I'm offering you a chance to save your life you insolent brat."

Taking a step forward Sunny replied. His voice soaked in a determined resolve.