The Human Realm

A young human woman was standing in her room on the first floor of the Owl House. Her eyes were still, fixated on the shirt she was holding in her hands. Her bed was covered with some of her belongings, clearly prepared for a trip.

"Eda?" Luz asked nervously when she noticed her mother, looking at her with a faint smile while the human packed for her vacation "Why did you decide to take me in?" She finally asked, looking up at the older witch, pausing her task.

"Anxious about going back, huh?" Eda asked with a smirk, crossing her arms, and looking at her daughter with affection. Luz nodded and looked back at the clothes she prepared on her bed, "Kiddo, it's been years. What are you really anxious about?"

"Can you..." The human sighed, letting her shoulders relax, "Can you answer my question?" She looked up at the witch again, "Please?"

"Ugh..." Eda groaned and walked over to the young woman in front of her, "It's not that I took you in, Luz. It's that we became family..."

"Yeah, but when I came here, completely broken, you didn't pass me off to someone..." Luz's voice trembled.

"I..." Eda's expression fell. She did not know how to comment on that.

"Weh, you reminded her of herself," King walked into the room and jumped at the windowsill to find the perfect sleeping spot in the sun. Luz noticed how Eda blushed, her ears slanted, and she looked away sheepishly, "Just like I did..." He added in a sleepy whisper and yawned.

"Mom?" Luz pushed a little bit.

"I just..." Eda tried but was too flustered to speak, "I know what it's like... My mother was embarrassed by me, taking me from a Healer to a Curse Specialist... I ran away from home and when I saw you..." She could not finish the sentence, crushed by a powerful hug.

"I'm anxious because I saw my mother..." Luz muttered a whisper into a fluffy mane of witch's hair, shocking Eda, "When I died in the Clinic, I saw her," The human elaborated, "She told me, she was too weak to be my mother. After her death, I was placed in a family that did not want me and was blaming me for everything. I never thought I would fit in anywhere. The kids at school bullied me for so many different reasons..." Luz pulled away and looked into her mother's eyes, "Right before I met you, I... I wanted to kill myself," She confessed her darkest secret and Eda could not control herself. She sobbed, pulling Luz close in, hugging her as if her life depended on that.

"I'm so glad you didn't, Kid. You made my life so much better."

"And mine!" Luz and Eda were surprised, thinking the Titan was asleep. He quickly jumped off the windowsill, and made it to them, hugging their waists.

"Hoooot?!" The house Demon made his presence known, showing his face through the window.

"Come here, Hooty," Luz said, shedding tears of joy, extending her hand to her friend, "Family hug!" The Demon squealed in joy, wiggling with glee, and wrapped everyone in his long, feathery body, "You make me feel like I belong, not just fit in," Luz muttered and let herself enjoy the wholesome moment with her family.

"I'm happy to hear that, Kid," Eda replied, pulling away, letting Hooty know to loosen his grip, "But if you won't be ready when Boots arrives here, she'll end you," She mocked, making everyone laugh.

"Yeah... She's kinda excited, huh?" King asked, looking up at Luz.

"'Kinda' is an understatement!" Luz laughed and then faced her mother again, "But you're right. She'll end me, all the way dead. I need to pack!" She added, entangling her fingers between her locks, forgetting about her anxiety for the moment, and going back to the task at hand.