The Bonfire

The young couple walked from the parking lot together, following the other people and the sounds of music toward the main event. Clawthorne was happy to see Amity's curious and joyful gaze, roaming the woods. She inhaled deeply, taking in the scent of pine, grilled food, and smoke.

The clearing in the woods had been changed into a great festive field. Many small campfires were started by random groups of people surrounding the main, enormous fireplace, and its shape reminded Luz of the stake that was yet to be ignited. Right behind it, there was a high wooden stage where the Gravesfield Historical Society was getting ready to start the festivities.

"It's not too much?" Luz asked worriedly, guiding Amity forward, closer to the main area to get the good spots before the whole party began, "Not too loud?"

"Not at all," Amity surprised Luz, smiling widely, "It's so much like the parties at St. Epiderm," She explained and embraced her girlfriend, walking side by side.

"Really? Seems like Hexside parties were lame then," She joked.

"Well, with the cold at the Knee and the natural magic it was one hell of a party spot," Amity said when they stopped to wait for the party to begin.

"I thought you didn't like parties?"

"Yeah, and I hate being touched," Amity smirked, "Partying out in the open is totally different than in an enclosed space. Plus," She leaned toward a counter, where the young woman was selling refreshments, with money in her hand, grabbing two red cups, and handing one to Luz, "Everything tastes better when it's by the fire," She added and smiled flirtatiously at her girlfriend, taking a sip of her drink.

"Now I don't know if you're more of a Wild Witch or an arsonist," Luz teased and kissed the crook of Amity's jaw.

"Who said I can't be both," The witch giggled with a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"I have a feeling Eda rubbed off on you in the weeks you spent together," Clawthorne added in a purring whisper and then took a sip of a bitter drink.

"Even if that were true, would you complain?" Amity pouted innocently, loving their playful banters.

"Mmm, nope!" Luz leaned closer to a concealed pointy ear, "I told you, I love your wild side," She purred huskily, enjoying the shiver that shook the witch's body.

"Amelia!" A sudden greeting dragged them out of their embrace and they both faced the person calling for the witch, "So good to see you here. I wasn't sure you'd come," The young, tall, brunette man said cheerfully.

"He does seem earnestly happy to see us here," Amity thought and returned a smile.

"Oh, hi, Bert," Blight replied and held onto her girlfriend's hand. Luz watched them interact with curiosity, "How did you manage to catch us in this crowd?"

"You're kidding me, right?" He asked with amusement in his voice, "How many other women have purple hair? You guys kinda stand out in the crowd," He explained and that made them look around. They were indeed surrounded by plain-looking people.

"I told you this town doesn't take anything different well," Luz said quietly, making Bert chuckle.

"Truer words have never been spoken," He said, putting his hands in the pockets of his jeans, "You know Tommy has been over-fixated on your resemblance to this Noceda girl because she was the last person who dared to speak up, stand up for what's right, you know..." Luz tensed up at this.

"That's why she was a local weird kid?" Amity asked, setting up a trap, curious about this man's opinion.

"I wouldn't say she was weird..." Bert suddenly saddened, looking away shamefully, "She was hurt but her heart was in the right place... I too could have treated her better but I was just a scared kid..."