part 9

As we approached the city, the voices of other people's thoughts inside of my head got louder. Over time I had learned to ignore them but in this city, there where far more people than there had ever been in the lab.

I closed my eyes trying to block the voices but the only thing that happened was a painful headache and a tiredness taking over my body.

I sighed fighting both.

The girl and the boy where walking behind me. They were whispering some things but I didn't even bother listening.

Then suddenly the boy spoke up. Where did you learn to talk? He obviously was talking about the the lack of words I had used before.

There was no way I was going to tell them that all the words I knew came from the thoughts of old white men. So I just said: 'Oh, just the people that raised me. Isn't that normal?'

I knew I was being weird. And I loved the confusion of the teens in front of me.

And those people, the girl spoke up, where they your parents?

No. I just answered before turning my back to the two of them.

I grinned when I heard that the teenagers behind me had stopped talking. They where probably just looking at each other with confused faces.

So when the two came walking side by side with me I had to hide the smile on my face.

We're almost there. The girl whispered. You'll need to go through the window.

I gave her a quick nod. Before the two stopped in front of a house.

This is my place. The girl said. I smelled the air around the house using my cougar senses to pick up any familiar smell.

And then I smelled it. Eleven. The boys that found her. They had been here. Maybe they where here.

As soon as Nancy disappeared into the house, I climbed the house with quick movements.

The boy was still standing where I stood a few seconds ago. He looked at me like he had looked at me when he first saw me, like I was a ginormous insect that was about to eat him.

What? I asked. Do I need to help you up?

He didn't say a thing. He just stared at me. How did you do that?

I rolled my eyes. Not answering the question and I held out my hand for him to grab.

Come on.

Since when can you talk normal? He asked looking at my hand like it was infected.

Since you can't climb the house.

He gave up and took my hand. I pulled him up, looking at the window Nancy said she would open to get us into the house.