Chapter 1

After 16 years.

It was a hot summer morning, the streets of the Po valley in Italy were buzzing with people and vehicles. It was 8, the sun was bright and the rays were entering through the wide open window of Elowen Morelli.

She was laying with a light haze of sleep on her bed, not wanting to get up. The reason of her having a light sleep is obviously the tension and nervousness that's currently flowing through her whole body. It is indeed a big day for her. In few hours, she's going to get two responses from two of her important places. One, from her college where she is completing her undergrad business degree- her final results. And second, from Leonard stern school of business management in New York- her final offer letter (her dream college in America). She's going to start a brand new journey of her life but she is scared.

Scared of not keeping up with the expectations of her family. Though her parents have no issues with her performance, but she wants it for herself, for the respect her parents have. She loves them more than anyone in her family, so she doesn't want anyone to look down upon them. Once she gets the offer, she'll be shifting to New York, it'll be hard for her at first because she will be completely new. She doesn't know how everything is going to turn out once she will reach to a new country, new university. She doesn't know what kind of environment/people is waiting there for her.

-TIME SKIPS (AFTER TWO HOURS)-

El: no mamma, that's not fair.... (she whined like a baby in front of her mother because she took her phone and laptop)

Lucia( El's mother): you've been sitting in front of your gadgets from the past one hour. Your eyes will pop out now. You're not getting back until your results come out and viola sends you any update about it (she said a bit frustrated seeing her daughter's antics)

El: but mammaa.... (she kept whining until a ding was heard from her phone which indicated that she got a notification) now you've to have to give it to me. It's almost time.

Lucia: okay ok. Here you go signora* (she said while moving her head sideways and pressing her lips) [*signora means ma'am in Italian]

Sitting on the couch, with her laptop she saw the message that was sent by her friend Viola saying that the results are already out. Hands and feet becoming cold and sweaty by each passing second, because not only she is going to check her result but also an email which came from her university. On one hand, she is holding her results and her laptop is open with the offer letter on her lap. Not having the courage to open yet, she is continuously biting her nails and looking at the screens.

Lucia: there's nothing to worry about mia cara* (she said assuring her daughter while patting her head) [*mia cara means my dear in Italian]

El: I know mamma....it's just, I don't know (she huffed a long breath and finally pressed both the buttons for the result and the offer at the same time)

She widened her eyes looking at the screen in front of her, and then looked at her parents then again at the screen. Her parents were patiently waiting for her to tell something, their anxiety reaching at a peak because of her silence.

David (El's dad): it's ok love, if you haven't got any good grades or admission in your dream college. It's not the end of the world, your life is not crumbling apart just because of few mere pap-(before he could complete his sentence, El screamed at top of her lungs)

El: HOLY SHIT!!!! I've passed with credits and I've got the offer with scholarship. Can you guys believe it??? (she loudly said and started jumping on the couch)

Lucia/David: we're so happy for you love. You've again showed that there's nothing Elowen Morelli can't do. We're so proud to be your parents mia cara (they said and hugged each other tightly)

--AT NIGHT-

The Morelli family celebrated their daughter's success with everyone. They hosted a small get-together with other family members and had dinner together. El came to her room for packing her things because there's only few weeks left for her to shift to New York. While she was packing she a found an old box, opening that she saw there's a locket and a hairpin. Looking at it, she started to feel a throbbing pain in her head, she caught her head with one hand and closed her eyes shut. But due to a sudden knock, she came back to senses and kept the box in her suitcase. She shifted a bit in her place and shrugged off that uncomfortable feeling and yelled, "COME IN."

Lucia: did I disturb you love? (she said entering her room)

El: no mamma.

Lucia could feel that she was disturbed by something so she said, "if there's anything you need, mamma and papa is right here. So, ask us right away with what you need (she smiled warmly)."

David: that's right mia cara (he entered the room while saying)

Both the parents sat on each side of their daughter on the bed and held each one of her hands. They are happy but sad too because their daughter is leaving and going to a complete different country far away from them.

El: there's nothing I need anymore, I'm a grown up woman now. It's time to take things on my hands now. You guys have already done a lot for me, even though I'm not your biological daughter. (she started to get teary) I didn't even knew who I was except my name, yet you guys took me in and took care of me, gave me whatever I needed. Whatever I am today is because of you both. When everyone thought I would be dead and gave up on me, you guys stayed. I don't remember my past, my life before the tragedy happened or anything. But I'm grateful to god, that I met you. (at this point tears were falling from all of their eyes)

David: it's us who should be grateful to god, to send such an angel in our dull lives. We couldn't become parents and became hopeless but then you came as an angel in disguise (he said while patting El's head lightly)

Lucia: our little angel, our mia cara has grown big now. Can't believe you're 22 now and moving to a different country to fulfil your dreams. (she said chuckling and wiping her tears) ok it's enough for now. It's been a long day for all of us, let's take rest and we can complete the packing some other day. (she said standing up and then kissed El's forehead lightly)

David did the same and they bid good night to each other. Switching off the lights, she laid down on the bed and closed her eyes. But as she closed her eyes, she could see the same scene in front of her eyes which she is experiencing from last 16years. The blurred face of a boy, a couple and a house- she could also hear laughter and screams. Then suddenly she heard a crash and an accident, she jolted up from her sleep and started breathing heavily. Tears blurred her vision, her heart and brain suddenly aching.

"I'm going to America for study that's true, but another reason why I'm going is to find what actually happened with me 16 years ago? Is anyone alive from my past? I'm going to seek out some answers which are eating me up. A new life, a new journey, I hope everything goes well." (she sighs heavily) She calms her heart, drinks water and with that tries to fall asleep again and fortunately she does.

On the other hand, amidst the big buildings of New York lives the business tycoon of the city. From a Spanish background, from nothing he came to top, but to achieve that he did a lot of hard work and sacrificed many things. Emotionless, cold and grumpy billionaire, this is how he is known by others - Marcus Hernandez.

Marcus is a bit rude but he's a complete softie for his few close people. What do you guys think how will they meet? Let me know 😊

Thanks for reading and bearing with this long chapter. . Since I'm a bit busy with my work and college it'll take time for me to release the next chapter. Don't worry I'll leave updates on my IG. Leave your comments and hope you guys enjoy this journey with me.

Love ya>3