Chapter 1

June 9th 1940

Kelsey Beck sits at her splintered dining room table with her dad, Richard. Her dad sat at the opposite side of small round table reading a newspaper he had found on the ground.

"I can't believe what's happening over there" you say. Trying to get him to look up from the paper.

"I know how you feel kid. But we'll be fine, just keep your chin up and your head down."

You look at him with an incredulous smile

"Dad, that's not how it works"

"Whatever you say munchkin"

That was his nickname for you. You don't actually know why but it's probably just a classic one he picked.

"Dad... do you think we could go visit mom today? I mean with everything going on it might be nice..."

"Sure kiddo, why don't we go after school?" He smiles at you. To some it might look like a happy smile you can see it's covered in despair and sadness.

Kelsey's mother had died when she was 5 from pneumonia. Because it was the Great Depression they couldn't afford medical treatment so her mother died at home. They weren't able to afford a funeral or anything for her memorial so Richard was forced to dig his wife's grave himself. 8 hours straight he dug; he didn't even let Kelsey help because he didn't want her to have that burden. He never told her that but she knew. She knew her father carried all the pain and suffering of the family. She knew how much he loved her.

_____________

After school you head to the cemetery where Kelsey's mom was buried. They managed to get permission from someone who runs the cemetery to have her grave there. She walks over to the wooden cross that is splintering just like their dining room table. She hears birds chirp above every time she's here; maybe it's just coincidence or maybe it's her. She listens to the birds chirp as her dad goes on about how his day was while she zones out thinking of the small but beautiful memories she had with her mother.

Kelsey sits at the dinner table listening to her mother talk about the beautiful things in the world she got to experience. If she could be half as amazing as her mother she could die happily.

"Mama, what if I don't get to do those things?"
At 4 years old Kelsey was always curious about the world like all 4 year olds.

"You will sweetie. I promise. You have so much you're going to do." Her mom smiled at her with the biggest and brightest smile Kelsey has ever seen. The kind that sticks in your mind forever.

Kelseys mother started having a coughing fit. She had been doing that a lot lately. Kelsey figured her mom just had a cold or it was dusty.

"Are you okay mama?" The 4 year old questioned praying this wasn't like what happened to her neighbours. Their grandmother had passed away from pneumonia and it was sweeping the country.

"I'm ok sweetie. It's just dusty." Her mom smiled again. It was different however. Kelsey always knew when it was different.

To Kelsey her mother was the most beautiful women in the world. She was also the nicest. Her mom had brunette curls and dark brown eyes. No one could have been prettier.

"Are you tired sweetie?"

"No I'm ok, I wanna stay up with the grownups."
Kelsey kicked her feet. Truth be told she was tired. Really tired but she just wanted to know what grownups did after she went to bed.

"It's your birthday next week kiddo. We don't need you getting sick. Come on, let's go get you tucked in." Her mom guided Kelsey to the other one room they had. Their bedroom. Everyone's bedroom. Kelsey didn't mind sleeping in the same bed as her parents. She actually enjoyed it, it made her feel safe.

"Kels? Kels? Are you listening?"
Her dad's voice made its way back into her mind.

"Huh? Oh sorry dad I wasn't listening."

"You alright?" He tilted his head a little out of sympathy. He always did that.

"Yeah, I'm fine! Anyway what'd you say?"

"I said is there anything you wanna tell mom before we head home for dinner?"

"Oh yeah, I really wish you were here. Dad's a horrible cook." She smiled cheekily

"I don't see you cooking missy." He snapped back sarcastically.

"That's because I know I'm a bad cook. At least I can live up to it."

"Alright, let's go." He smiled as he got up from the ground, helping you up.

A/N

THE FIRST CHAPTER!! This is my first time writing a book so I rly hoped you guys liked it. I also put questions for you guys so I can know you better!

1.What'd you guys think of the first chapter?

2.Any constructive criticism?

3. What do you think of Kelsey?

4. Who should be the love interest?

Thank you all! Have a great week!
Vote if you can thanks guys!!🫶

TikTok: MarvelEditsss2003