Chapter 8

How long had Kelsey been sleeping for? Hours? Minutes? She woke up from a guard banging on her cell door.

"Wake up" fucking gaurds always screaming at her. Kelsey had been there for what she counted as months but could've been years. She was trained until she passed out. "Let's go you've got training" Kelsey moved slow "GET.UP" that made her stand and change so fast into her training clothes he barely had to breathe.

The guard walked her down to training but passed her normal training room. "Am I not training in there today?" she asked, the hairs on the back of her neck stood up. Something was off.
"Nope, you're going to train with the other inmates." The rest of the way there was silent. The guard led her outside of a room she had never seen before. He uncuffed her just before entering. There were at least a dozen barred cells that extended to the ceiling, they were packed with prisoners that were too close together.

In the middle of it all stood Mrs. Zola. "Come here child." She said, her voice too warm and welcoming. But Kelsey did what she was told. Getting stares as she did. Most if not all of the soldiers here were men, they had busted up faces. Cuts ran deep through their sunken and traumatized faces. She walked over and stood next to Mrs Zola ready for orders. There was silence and the back of Kelsey's neck stood up again. Something was very wrong. The guards opened one of the cell doors and brought out a soldier. His clothes were ragged and dirty. He looked like he had been here for days, maybe weeks.

"What am I mean't to do ma'am?" Kelsey didn't want to know really, but that was her job. Do what she was told and she won't get punished. "Punish him." Mrs Zola said it so simply. Smooth. Like it came easily to her. This was a routine for her by now: kill, give orders, repeat. That's the routine to be a hydra agent.

"Yes ma'am." No. Kelsey didn't want to kill him but that was her only choice.Kelsey didn't hesitate, she couldn't. Not after them making her do this for months. The poor man would die either way, at least Kelsey's way was quicker. BANG. One shot. Once through his head. Fastest way for him, she hoped he didn't feel any pain.

"Do you all understand?!" Mrs Zola was addressing the prisoners "he died doing something stupid. For trying to break out. It won't work. You will only die sooner." It was silent, not a soldier wanted to talk, probably too scared to get shot.

Mrs Zola walked and Kelsey followed along like a dog waiting for its owners approval. Kelsey noticed many of the soldiers spit at her feet as she walked by but she couldn't say anything. She wanted to say she was sorry and grieve with them over the loss of their comrade but it was her fault. The guilt ate away at her.

She was brought into her regular room for trading. This time it was first aid and pain tolerance. Nothing she'd learned before but was told about. After her usual hand to hand combat the guard grabbed a knife and stabbed it just underneath her collarbone. A flesh wound. Nothing major but could get infected and it hurts like hell. She was brought back to her cell and she was left with a crappy and rusted first aid kit. The only thing she had to see herself up with was the old and full needle, luckily it hadn't rusted but the syringes for painkillers had. Fuck. She was going to feel every little it of this.

She grabbed the bottle of disinfectant and a cotton ball. She held the ball in her hand and poured a little bit of disinfectant on it. Just enough to clean the edges. Test her pain. She brought it up to her wound and hissed as soon as it touched her skin. She tried again, this time ignoring the pain and focusing at not bleeding out. It barely helped. As soon as the cotton ball was removed from the wound she had to take deep breathes hold her stomach because she felt she was going to throw up. Next was the real test. Pouring the disinfectant on the wound. Before she did she put a cloth in her mouth to scream into a little so she could have some relief. Fuck. It hurt. Her screams came out muffled but her tears ran down her face falling onto the floor around her. She dropped the cloth out of her mouth and cried. She wheezed, her breathing was panicked and body shook from the pain.

Kelsey's hands were covered in blood that shined off of the lights in the hallway. She tried to wipe her hands off her clothes but with barely any luck. Then she came to the realization that it wasn't her blood on her hands. It was the victims she already killed in the months she'd been there.

She could feel her stomach turning and her hands shaking as she ran to the small bathroom she was given for good behaviour. She threw up any food she had inside her. Blood soaked the lid of the toilet and the sink as she tried to wash it off, scrubbing her hands red.

She came back to the realization that her wound was still opened and bleeding, an infection growing every second. As she picked the needle back up and sterilized it she shook and put the cloth back in her mouth. Her scream came out muffled again and once the hack job was completed she fell back against the wall.

Her arms slumped and blood all around her. She looked around her surroundings to see the disaster and then to see someone had seen it. A man was sitting in the cell across from her, he had a look of either terror or pity on his face. He had seen it all. He had short brown hair and a soldier uniform for the US military.

The man had been watching her the whole time, appalled. "I-I'm so sorry." He stuttered. She looked at him confused "why?" Her voice shook around the words "you don't deserve that" the man was genuine.

Kelsey was taken aback, he was the first person to actually care. He studied her "when you killed that soldier.... You didn't want to did you?" He looked like he was going to cry for her. "No I didn't" Kelsey replied back, her hands shaking over her wounds "but what choice did I have? You'll end up the same way if you survive." She shifted so she was a little more comfortable "no, I have friends that will save us. They will get us out of here. I promise." He talked so fast yet so calmly "those are promises you can't keep."

Gaurds walked in on her conversation with the inmate "get up. Come one let's go!" He kicked her side a little to make her move faster, they cuff her and took her for injections. She knows what happens, the routine. Everyday over and over and over until it merges into one.