twenty-six

[will be reedited, excuse any errors]

"Hey, Destiny. How do you feel about cutting the vacation short and coming back home early?" I could hear Trey's voice crackle through the phone. "Because that's what I'm doing. I'm chilling here instead of driving back to Atlanta..."

"Why? Ma already hassling us to come back home?" Destiny's sass dripped from her words.

"Nah, just figured you might be getting homesick. Only a couple days left in Atlanta—aren't you itching to come back? Start practicing for Annie? Your showcase is around the corner—" Trey's words trailed off, his concern evident.

"Daddy's been putting in the work with me. We practice every night. I'm good. I know my lines," Destiny reassured him.

"I know. But with Dad not feeling too hot lately, maybe it's best to play it safe and come back—" Trey tried to reason.

"Nah, I'm good," Destiny said flatly. "Anyway. I need to head to the store."

"Got it. Make sure to keep your phone close. Tried calling you last night, got nothing back," Trey's tone softened. "It had me worried. Are you sure you're good?"

A silence ensued. A somewhat suspicious silence.

"... Yes? I'm good...? Relax, I was just out. But why you so worried? You're never this worried," Destiny said suspiciously.

"Just want to make sure you're all good," Trey cleared his throat. "So, where were you last night? What were you up to?" Trey pressed, clearly also suspicious.

"I don't get it. Why are you acting so weird? You all are acting so weird. Dad is interrogating me about mom, asking if I've heard from her. You're saying mom's not rushing us back, yet you're staying back with her and cutting our vacation short. Not to mention you interrogating me and all the questions—what's the deal? Something up?" Destiny's voice grew more serious.

"Nothings up. Can't an older brother check on his sister anymore? Damn. You're just acting unlike yourself that's why I asked if you were good," Trey replied, trying to mask his concern.

"Treyvon something is clearly up." Destiny insisted.

"Nothing is up!" Trey said defensively.

"Wow. Is this what we're doing now? We're lying now? Bet. It makes sense you're staying with mom. You're exactly like her. Stay on that side." Destiny scoffed.

"Chill. You're making it sound like we gotta pick sides like this is fucking Avengers Civil War or something." Trey kissed his teeth loudly. "And even if it was, we all know who Iron Man would be. And FYI it's not dad."