Up To the Test When Things Go Wrong

After raiding the snack table and making the most of the free bar, Marinette had waited while Adrien had tracked down the sign-up sheet for the quiz and entered them in it. Unfortunately, they couldn't work as a pair, but they had found a lovely duo of cosplayers to team up with to make a team of four.

Adrien and Marinette sat with an elderly couple at a table towards the back of the hall. Rita and Clive had travelled over from Wales to celebrate Will's life. Apparently, they had met him at a Miraculous 'over 70s' party 3 years ago. Their commitment to the heroes had to be applauded.

Rita was currently wearing a tight-fitting, spandex Ryukko outfit, while Clive sported a cheap imitation copy of Argos. Where the hero in her was impressed by their attempt, the designer in her wanted to rip the damn things off and make them look more authentic — maybe she could grab their addresses and make them a little treat.

"Question number 16. What is the rumoured name of the original mouse hero who helped defeat Kwamibuster?"

Rita began bouncing in her chair, and Marinette worried she was about to put out one of her major joints.

As always, her partner was completely on her wavelength. "Woah! If she doesn't calm down, she's going to end up in hospital for a hip replacement."

Chat Noir wandered around the table, looking at their answers and tutting. Of course no one would get this right. Only she and Chat Noir would know the answer.

"Janet told me about this," Rita started, looking at the two younger attendees on the table. "It was something like Morty... no wait, Mindy... Mo, that wasn't it —"

"Minnie?" Both Adrien and Chat Noir said, their timing impeccable.

Marinette was exasperated. Not only was she dealing with Adrien unknowingly calling her a "spotty goddess," but it seemed like Chat Noir and Adrien had merged into one person, blurting out the same absurd answers to the quiz questions. To add to her frustration, Marinette was certain that Chat Noir knew the answers—they were, after all, about him.

"Multi." Marinette sighed, rubbing her head rather aggressively. And if Adrien and Chat Noir continued to come up with these idiotic answers, she was sure she'd be standing up and turning over the table.

Chat Noir had been quite vocal during quiz night and she was just about ready to scream.

"Multi?" Adrien asked quizzically. His eyebrows turned in. He looked at her as though she was speaking a different language. "As in..."

"Multimouse. The original mouse hero was called Multimouse."

Adrien rested an elbow on the table, his cheek firmly pressed into his fist. "You sound certain about that."

As much as Marinette would have liked to keep her attention on Adrien, she realised she'd just let Chat Noir into quite the secret.

"Oh my goodness! I knew you looked familiar! That was you!" Chat Noir began to bounce around, his fingers pointing at her as he continued to call her out.

"I — um — I..." Everyone at the table was sitting expectantly, waiting for her to come up with some sort of crazy reason for how she knew the name of this unknown hero. Her mind raced as she attempted to grab hold of a believable excuse for knowing such a random fact. "I - I -"

Come on, brain! Work!

She looked at Chat Noir, hoping he could come up with some crazy yet amazing explanation. However, the most helpful thing he did was whisper into Adrien's ear. What the hell was he doing now?

"You'd look cute with little mouse buns." Adrien's eyes were glazed over as he spoke, his trance-like state courtesy of the actions of her partner.

"Thanks," Marinette said through gritted teeth. Her eyes followed Chat Noir as he laughed and headed over to where Wayhem was sitting.