Chapter 2: GOING TO NIGERIA

Like a Cheetah, the days ran by and now its friday 7am on the 1st of February, 2019. Oh, how i wish this was a dream. I stretch my hand to pick my phone like i normally do to check the time but instead, i pick up my flight ticket. Looking at it slapped reality into me harder than my dad's belt.

            I looked at my seat number "005A" and my boarding time which was "11:35 am" and my departure time "12:45 am". While my eyes were sadly fixed on my flight ticket, i heard my phone ring and the caller I'd read "PALMERA", my best friend. I reluctantly dragged the green answer icon.

            "Hello Palmera, good morning." i said with a low voice.

            "Good morning Iris! Are you mentally ready now?"

            "How do you expect me to be ready? I hate my life right now." I let out a few sobs. "How could my parents make such a decision that involves me leaving Italy alone to Nigeria without me having an idea about it? I hate them, i hate that country, i hate.....

           "Girl don't say that about your parents," she interrupts "Your parents love you and will never make a decision to hurt you. They probably didn't tell you because you'll object and they really need you to go. Your not a child. Is this the first time your entering a flight or going to your maternal home country? Chill out...its not a big deal"

            "How can you say its not a big deal?  I might literally stay there forever and that's not going to be good for me."

            "Iris what did you study in the university?"

           "Business administration. Why are asking me that?"

            "Exactly! And your going to manage your mum's textile "BUSINESS" in Nigeria. Which is really a good thing. Look at the bright side, most of the money made in the business belongs to you. And you'll be able to live on your own with your boyfriend, hopefully.... Life will be a bed of roses for you. To be honest with you, if i were handed such an opportunity, i won't think twice about it. Cheer up girl."

          "I would never get a boyfriend in that country. I hate that place. Its like hell on earth, so hot, noisy and dirty. To to top it all, this is February, the hottest month over there!" i sob harder. I had already started developing a mild headache due to lack of sleep.

          "Iris you need to get a hold of yourself. It can't be that bad. I bet you'll make a lot of friends there. They're humans not animals. And stop looking at them in that perspective. That's your maternal home country. Don't worry...i promise you, one day you'll call and say 'Palmera you were right.'

           "Alright, Thanks Palmera. I really needed this. I could barely sleep last night."

          "You were overthinking everything. It won't be that bad. And i know you'll hopefully get a soulmate there. Italian guys aren't for you" she giggled on the other side of the call.

          "That's never gonna happen. I'll just manage myself there. I don't want to get entangled with a Nigerian guy"

          "Oh well, all i can say is your not getting younger. You don't know what the future holds for you. The longest relationship you've had with an Italian guy only lasted for 8 months" she laughed harder "Girl your 24 and sooner or later, your Nigerian mum will start asking you for a son-in-law.... you know how she is" she giggled again "You have a very interesting Mother!"

          "Get out palmera. I need to take a pain killer, I'm having a slight headache."

          "Okay that'll be good for you. When is your departure time?"