Chapter 9: GOING TO WORK

Beep! Beep!!

         Rings the alarm. It's 7:00am already?! It felt like i only slept for an hour. I guess i was thinking a lot even while i was asleep. Oh, dear Lord, i hate Mondays. I feel like crying right now. Monday has a bad history for me. I was told I'll be coming to Nigeria on a Monday. Oh well, i have to get myself ready.

         While i was still having a conversation with my inner self. I hear a knock on my door. "Come in!" I yelled while yawning. The person behind the door opened it gently as their head came in view. It was my uncle. "Good morning Uncle!"

        "Morning. How was your night?"

        "It was peaceful but short. But nonetheless, it was great."

         "I'm happy to hear that. Well i came to inform you i'll be leaving the house to work by 8:00am. Ensure to be ready by then so i can drop you off at the store. Please don't make me late for work." He said with a little smirk on his face.

         "Sure, Uncle. I promise not to keep you waiting." I said as i placed my left palm on my chest and my right palm in the air as if taking an oath.

         "Alright. I'll leave you to get yourself  set. And it's time for morning devotion. You need to be in the living room now."

          "Okay Uncle."

          "Alright." He said and closed my door. Morning devotion?! When did that one start? How come it wasn't held yesterday? Oh well, that's none of my business. For so long as i pray when i wake up in the morning, i know the Lord is going to keep me safe. I just need to control my anxiety. I'm so nervous going to the store to work. Today pops my cherry of working in Nigeria. So help me Lord. Amen!

           While i still sat on my bed, i started hearing claps echoing from the living room. I quickly sat up from my bed, wore my slippers and walked briskly to the living room. By the time i got there, they were done clapping and Dawn was praying. Hearing her pray made my morning. She sounded so cute uttering words only her knew. The only words i heard were, "Father", "Blood of Jesus" and "Amen".

        After sometime, the prayer ended. My aunt went into the kitchen to prepare breakfast while i, Uncle David, Darlene, Danielle and dawn went to our individual rooms to get ourselves ready. We were all working with time. The children had already taken their baths, so they just went in to wear their school uniform. Their school bus is expected to be at the gate around 7:30am.

       I rushed into my room, used the restroom, had my bath and applied some lotion. I went to my box to see if i would be able to find a clean outfit. Unfortunately, there wasn't any. So i decided to wear them like that. After all, they're mine.

        I brought out the sky blue high waist jean i wore the day i was coming to Nigeria and matched it with a pink baggy top i wore on my third day in the hotel. Although i didn't expect it to come out good, it looked on point. I'm such a fashionista.

        I walked up to the dressing mirror, opened my makeup bag and applied a very little amount of makeup. I have a feeling today would be a bit stressful. I don't want a situation whereby i start sweating which will make my makeup look cakey and irritating. I applied a pink colored lip gloss, put on some false lashes, applied some mascara, did a little touch up in my face and i was done. I parted my hair by the side  and tucked in the shorter side behind my left ear. I wore silver hoop earrings, a flat silver slippers and i looked like a million bucks.

        I immediately picked my phone and my hand bag. I turned off the ceiling fan, the air conditioner, the lights and closed the windows. I roamed my eyes around to ensure i don't forget anything i'll need. I closed the door and walked to the dining table. I was stunned to see my uncle already seated in the living room and waiting for me. I then sat and started having breakfast.

        "Chikaima hurry up with your breakfast. I have a meeting with one of the state commissioners by 8:00am. I don't want to keep him waiting."

        "Okay uncle." I said and started stuffing bread and hot egg sauce into my mouth. Oh my goodness, the egg sauce was too good to be rushed but i had no choice but to do so. I hurriedly poured hot tea into my mouth and burnt my tongue. I held myself from wailing so i won't arouse pity from my aunty and uncle. Damn, it was painful. Having burnt my tongue, i slowed down a bit.

         "Chikaima hurry up!" Said my Uncle who was getting impatient. I ate a bit and stopped.

         "Thank you Aunty. I'm okay."

         "Are you sure?" Asked my aunty who was concerned about the little amount i ate.

         "Yeah. I need to go so Uncle won't be late."

          "Alright. I'll keep it for you in case you return and want to eat it."

          "Oh Aunty, there's no need for that. But you can do it if you insist. Bye Aunty."

         "Bye Chi Chi." She said to me while having her break fast. It made me sad to see her eating alone on the dining table. It reminded me so much of my Dad. He and my mum barely have breakfast together. Speaking of my Dad, i remembered the work i gave Palmera. Oh well, when i get to work, i'll check my phone to see if she sent me a message.

         My Uncle walked out of the house briskly and i followed behind him. We both got into the car. He started the car and the engine roared to life. He immediately dashed off. He was really in a haste. In a few minutes we arrived at the textile store.

         "Chikaima, i'll be off now. See you later and break a leg." Said my Uncle without looking at me. He was arranging his neck tie.

        "Alright, bye Uncle." I said to him as i stepped out of the car and closed the door. He immediately zoomed off.

        I walked a few minutes and arrived at the glass door of "GLORIFIED TEXTILES". Hearing the sounds of the busy roads of lagos made me happy. It was the kind of feeling words couldn't explain. Hearing cars horn, some street boys screaming, women frying street food, children walking to school and discussing; It makes me feel so alive. I took in a deep breath of the contaminated air coming from the gutters of Lagos before i opened the glass door. Truly refreshing. I opened my eyes and the big textile store came in view.

     I'll be uploading the next chapter soon. Till then, byeee💋