Chapter 2

The world was never the same. Many theories of the future didn't even come close to the present. With low wages, no protection, hate crimes and the medical health disregarded it was a struggle to say who would survive the next day.

She didn't know how long the silence lasted in the vehicle. But when she saw the barren land of her home, her eyes lit up with relief. She struggled to contain her anticipation.

The moonlight hit the door of her house as soft as her gaze. The car pulled upto the familiar old hut. Her hands grabbed the door and her foot waltzed towards the door just as the car settled down.

Her heart was beating violently as tears threatened to fall down with just a small movement. She opened the door with shaky hands. The door made a creaky sound against the rusty hinges in the quiet house.

An old woman laid on the floor besides the bed. Her thin and malnourished hand supported herself against the wooden cupboard as she looked at the sound, squinting her eyes to see the figure.

"Wei yang is that y-you? "

Her voice quivered a little looking expectantly at the figure. Tears slid down the girl's face as she knelt next to the old woman burying her face into her neck as she whispered everything was alright.

Seeing the deteriorating state of the woman, she clutched her pants searching for the medicine that she brought from the north. Her eyes were glossy with moisture on her cheeks as she came up with nothing.

Just as despair hit her heart, she heard a soft voice from the doorway.

She looked up to see the man handing out something as he raised his hand in her direction. Her pouch hung on to the man's hand dangling sideways from his movement.

Amazement took over her features as she saw all the medicine she has gathered. Her heart clenched. She tore off the packet and handed the person in her arms, the tonic.

The man turned around walking towards the direction of the door. He was stopped by a polite voice.

"Thank you for saving me, if you need any help in the future please do not be afraid to ask me"

The man looked back at the resolute voice of the girl, side glancing at her frame before he hurried out the door, quick in his strides.

It was not until he arrived in his home and shut the door of it's hinges, he took off the cap covering his head.

Smooth hair touched the gentle curve of the person's neck as it calmly laid the person's shoulders. The reflection stared back enticing a sigh from her.

People are troublesome. She shouldn't have risked her life to save someone else. She shouldn't have gotten close to any people. She followed the boundaries she has set for herself in this life.

Yet, why can't she ignore the plea of help? Why couldn't she ignore the old woman who cried for her granddaughter desperately on the ground? Her fingers itched, frustration clawing her mind.

She splashed the water on her face trying to drown all the thoughts of weakness. She searched around her waistband when she felt pain. Drops of blood trickled down her white shirt at the gash on her stomach.

She huffed, ignoring the wound. With hands still roaming around herself, her fingers touched something stuffed into her pocket. The card she picked up in the fight today. She picked it out curiously.

Xxxxxx xxxx

The permission granted by the local government for legal trading and business.

-------

Her eyes lit with a strange glow, holding the card with a strong grip. Her mind was running in circles, reading the information. There's no photo pasted on the ID.

Her eyes curved up whilst her eyebrows raised. Her lip tilted upwards at the words in the cards, reading with gusto.

She hummed a little as she hid the card into one of the shelfs.

Perfect.