Chapter 5

It wasn't hard to stretch the bow on a tree branch that would wobble lightly everytime she stepped hard. But it was difficult to get the unsuspecting wolves to not locate the human above them.

She held her breath still, pointing the arrow at the mud coat wolf that seemed to linger on the spot where the two woman once were. The smell of fresh blood agitated the monsters to no end, even if it was their own kin.

A normal werewolf has wits and sense to avoid being in the shooting range while the danger is still lurking. But this was not an ordinary monster. It does not fear death, it is a slave to it's own instinct. They could maul her to death if they even catched a whiff of her scent.

The bow stretched, along with her pause in breathing. Her mind cleared when the arrow hit the wolf's neck. It immobilised him to the ground. The arrow didn't hit deep enough as the previous one, largely affected due to the distance.

Glancing at the four other wolves who already turned their backs ready to depart, her fingers quickly fetched another arrow. They didn't even notice their comrade's absence when they turned their backs to the two dead bodies.

Dropping to the ground, she followed closely around the bushes when she saw them getting away. From here, she could observe the last standing four monsters. Their physical demeanour and their jaws that could tear apart limbs very easily out matched her strength by many folds.

Her expression hardened when she saw them getting closer to a particular direction. Seeing their focused gazes, she understood why they didn't seem to notice the dead carcasses of their companions. They longed for the human blood that seemed to be so potent in this certain direction.

She shot down the two wolves who were behind the race. The several arrows on each animal that were brought down, indicated her error in accuracy. But they couldn't outlive the sharp arrow that matched their desire for blood.

The two humans standing at the focus of attention from the two wolves seemed to be unaware. Hearing the clamouring of the two voices from afar, her head ached. Battling down her annoyance, she pierced her arrow to another wolf's neck. This time, the arrow perfectly embodied itself deeply into it's throat.

It was difficult shoot an arrow at the leading one. It was much stronger and faster than others. It didn't look unfazed by running, but her human strength is depleting by every second. Her arrow hit the animal in one of it's hind legs, making the animal come to a halt and release a growl of anger.

Before she could release another arrow at the last standing creature, it collapsed. Blood spoiled the ground under it, as the arrow on it's stomach moved up and down due to the panting of the animal.

Her eyes followed a man that stood arrogantly a little far away, watching the dying animal with a smile. The two men looked startled when they heard the sounds of pain from the creature.

Their shocked stares landed on the man carrying the bow close to his chest, standing high and looking down at them.

He bellowed with a fierce tone "What are you looking at? Quickly get people to carry the carcasses."

However, the two people held incredulous gazes when they caught three other wolves in the area, each with an arrow straight to their vital points. They looked at their leader with a profound gaze.

One of them quickly headed to call other people, while the other seemed to be hesitant looking at the tall man that stood aloof. His curiousness won against his reluctance as he asked meekly.

"Leader, Did you claim all of the creatures? "

"Don't you see my arrows on all of them? Unless you want to challenge me for it ? "

The man's voice turned a bit cold at the end, imposingly looking at the person before him to say another word. This time, he knew not to overstep boundaries lest, he could be crushed under his leader's influence.

He quickly lowered his head and got to work before the man could be irritated further. Challenging his leader was out of the way, as he could get huge amounts of reward just for being in the group who had the galls to defeat four monsters. He just wanted to make sure it was them alone, who was vying for the game.

She hid behind the dense trees, shifting the arrow to her back, that was just about to be stretched by her a moment ago. She didn't make a move until the man's imploring gaze moved away from her direction.

When she finally heard them moving the animals and walking away, her lips twisted into a sneer. They didn't even dislodge the arrows when moving them. She couldn't even get her arrows back.

Making sure she got the remaining arrows that scattered through the shooting, she stood at the edge of the forest. The blazing sun is at it's finest, showing no signs of setting just yet. However, she could no longer hear any footsteps indicating the safe escape of the alert people.

Although, they were desperate for survival, they were not stupid to roam the land where the creatures laid dormant. The presence of several wolves at once would frighten one to never set a foot on this land again.

Her eyebrows knitted together when the thought of several wolves travelling together, much more co-ordinated than ferals would ever be came onto her mind. Why would the peaceful forest hold such dangerous creatures more now?

The force she used on the arrows was much more than when she practiced, causing her fingers to swell slightly with pain. She flexed her fingers lightly, lost in thoughts. What is happening?

Her eyes watched the distant sky curiously, her mind running in several directions. Although the thick trees obstructed her view, the blue sky exhibited an unknown beauty, making one lost in it's elegance.

A proud Eagle flew amongst, like a sailor of the seas. It withstood the heavy perils of the disobeying wind, flapping the presence of trials away with it's mighty wings. Her eyes clouded over, stepping into the forest again.

Not for a hunt to sweep away the burning hunger in her stomach, but for the salvation that her heart desired. It was against her nature, to go against any desire that she felt as strong as this. So, she choose to set off into the world that made her what she was today.