Chapter 3

The general stood high above, observing the quiet crowd with keen eyes as satisfaction settled in the depth of his eyes.

The small crowd looked expectantly at their leader awaiting the announcement. The hunt was near and it was finally time to choose the warriors.

The general spoke enticing the people's attention.

"We are all proud of the bountiful hunt last week. To reward for the bravery and determination of warriors, there will be weapons sold at less than average market price and free of cost for the warriors with significant achievements"

The people erupted into chaos, thunderbolts of claps sounded, all voices clamouring about the greatness of their leader. The remaining announcement included about the commander that was yet to announce the warriors of next hunt in a short notice.

The crowd dispersed shortly after. She started to turn around to leave when the announcement has closed off, but she stopped when the murmurs caught up to her.

"I didn't expect that the next door hard working and honest woman came back with a man last night" the light voice of the woman snickered.

"It's better than struggling by yourself. Isn't it very common? " the other person said in a straight forward manner.

The voice of the woman carried a hint of scolding with a sharp edge to her tone.

"Of course I know! But the man I saw with her was the good-for-nothing that joined our camp recently"

"Doesn't she have better resources than him? unless he's the little wife in the relationship " laughter sounded, carrying it's hint of mockery to the person that turned her back.

Her hands clenched as she looked at the ground. This isn't the time to beat the members of the camp. It would get her in serious trouble. Her breathing levelled as the thoughts of her grandma overpowered any other emotion.

She opened her eyes again, with no more agitation. Feeling someone's eyes, annoyance crept into her. she turned around coming in contact with the man who saved her.

She looked away ashamedly. Did he hear the commotion? She regretted not beating them up. Her hands itched again. Maybe he wanted help? She looked up again to expect the man to approach her, but there was no one.

Confusion dawned into her eyes. Why does this man not ask for anything in return? In the world where your own blood becomes a baggage and an extra mouth to feed, this stranger she didn't glance twice at, risked his life for her.

The man was popularly called as good for nothing because of the skills he displayed during the hunt and being one of the warriors with no single achievement.

But the man yesterday took down people more than half his size, skilfully knocked them unconscious with little effort. She didn't know many people who were capable of that, especially humans.

What is he hiding? Who is he? She doesn't like owing someone, especially when it's kind people helping her. She really hopes she could repay the favour, so she couldn't feel uncomfortable.
                           - - - - - -

"That was a really good offer, never seen a crowd that was so happy "

The man leaned back in his chair as he looked at the general who seems to be deep in thought. He held up a cup of tea drinking leisurely while observing the unusually quiet man. Upon hearing his words, the man slowly met his eyes.

"That's the least we can do.  The forest is getting unstable day by day. With casualties increasing and more people injured, no one will step forward to provide. "

The man hummed at the general words, taking a sip of the tea placed in front of him.

The general sighed, his eyes staring at the children in the distance with a melancholy expression.

"The rabbid monsters are getting worser day by day, I don't know how long we can hold on. I've received the news of the spotings and it's only a matter of time before we lost the forest to those monsters. "

The man's actions holding the tea cup tensed. His mouth opened wanting to speak of something before he was interrupted.

"Very well, the commander may enjoy the tea and I'll take my leave. I hope you announce the warriors of the next hunt tonight"

The man tightly nodded his head as he watched him walk away. He was aware of the monsters running rampant in the forest.

These monsters are far more primal than the monsters they fought in the war. Far more dangerous.

They have no other way. They were cornered from everywhere. If they crossed the border and into the werewolf world, the only future that awaited them was slavery and torture.

He knew his general has gone through great lengths to administer the camp in the justice way, and to get people's undying trust. To save his dying population, he took matters into his own hands to find the forest which was is in no man's land.

Alas, no matter the hardwork, only the strongest survived in this world and they were no longer the top of the food chain with advanced technology.

His demeanour, goals and inner strength was what attracted him to be the support of this man. If this thing was going to be shambles, they don't know where they could seek refugee to.