Chapter 12

*you guys should vote for my story because I love you.

The palace looked stunning. Driveway crowded with cabs, cars, and limos. Light streaming through the windows and open entrance. Music and peoples voices poured through the doors.

We walked up the steps to the doors and walked in with our mouths hung open.

The ball room looked glamorous. Crystal light fixtures hung on the high ceilings, orchestra set up in a corner, and the balcony where 3 thrones sit.

We grab a glass of champagne and make our way to one of the corners of the room. It was currently 8:30, 30 minutes left until the announcement.

"Look! It's Prince Harry!!" Jenn and Gemma squealed.

He was in the balcony sitting on the middle throne. He had his index finger on his lips and he looked as if he was in deep thought.

Soon the king and queen joined Harry in the balcony and a microphone was set up.

Cameras were set up everywhere for the announcement to be broadcasted.

Two guards came into the room blowing horns to get everyone's attention.

Cameras turn on and the king steps up to the microphone.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen. As you all know my son, Prince Harry, will be turning 21 in February and he will be able to become king. We have been looking for him a wife who can take on the responsibility as queen but have had no luck. We are holding a competition for a wife. 10 girls are randomly selected to live at the palace and become close to the king so he can choose his wife. They will slowly be eliminated until it comes down to the final three. Now for the drawing."

Everyone in the room held their breaths. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

The king pulls out a white slip of paper from a glass bowl.

"Amber Rosling"

He pulls out another paper.

"Dillan Pratt" a family cheers in the back.

"Rachael Preche"

"Katlin Wess"

"Clare smith" I gasp.

What? Me? Gemma and Jenn look at me with excitement.

The king kept calling names but I couldn't hear him. I was still in shock.

The king called all 10 girls and the crowd sighed. So many hearts broken tonight, I would give up my spot for one of them to take.

"Guards, a tailor, and a chamberlain will go to each of the girls' houses to inform them on the details. Thank you for coming tonight. Enjoy yourselves." The king went back to sitting in the throne.

I started hyperventilating. I couldn't do this. My life would be in the public view and I don't think I can handle that.

I rushed to the bathroom to calm myself down. Gemma and Jenn right behind me. I rush into a stall.

"Clare, it's going to be ok" Jenn said.

"Yea. We're here with you every step of the way" Gemma said.

"I'm scared. My life will be in the eye of the public now. I'll have no privacy. I don't want this." I sniffed.

"It's going to be ok. I promise" Jenn comforted.

"Please come out" Gemma pleaded.

I unlocked the door and slowly emerged from the stall. I went to the mirror and saw my eyes were puffy. I put water on them and took a deep breath.

"Ready to go back out there?" Gemma asked.

"Not really."

"You have to no matter what. Prince Harry has to dance with the girls who were called.

I sighed. Better go.

We moved towards the door but a group of girls came in. They gave me glares and dirty looks. They knew I was called.

I stepped out into the ball room again and hung to the side. I just wanted to go home.

Jenn called a cab to come pick us up soon.

20 minutes later Harry spotted me in the crowd.

"Would you like to dance?" He asked.

I took his hand without a word.

He led me to the dance floor and the music started. It was awkward silence.

"Are you excited for the competition?" Harry asked.

"No. Are you?"

"Not at all" he smirked.

"Why?"

"I wanted to find a wife on my own. I don't like the idea of girls competing over me. Why aren't you excited?"

"My privacy will be taken away from me. My life will be in public view and it scares me." I sighed.

"I'm sorry."

"You don't have anything to be sorry about."

"If it weren't for me then you wouldn't have to get rid of your privacy."

"We can help each other through this competition."

"Yea" he smiled at me.

The music stopped and he bowed as I curtsied. Jenn waved me to the front doors.

"Bye Harry"

"Bye Clare"

I walked towards Gemma and Jenn and we headed towards the cab. I slumped in the seat feeling tired.