Chapter 11: Survivors Of The Sheikah

Dark didn't find it any easier to tell his story to someone for the second time. In fact, he found it more difficult. His heart still ached over the loss of his home and family; he still was upset about his brother being missing and angry over how many years he spent locked away inside the temple. And Zelda, unlike Link, was not content to just listen. She had to interrupt him, asking questions he didn't have the answer to.

"How did your parents know about the temple?" was her first question, and all he could do was shrug his shoulders. It wasn't really important information at the time, after all.

"Why did they send you there? Why not go themselves?" This, at least, Dark had an answer to. Honor and duty were at the core of why they had not accompanied their children. His parents had been called to fight in the war. He and his brother had not. But their safety was the primary reason behind it; they had wanted to make sure their sons were not caught up in a battle with no winning move.

"How did you and your brother retain your sanity?" The Sheikah were used to isolation - even at the young age Dark had been when he first entered the temple, the last thing he was concerned about was being driven to the edge by the lack of companionship. But despite Zelda's apparent knowledge of the Sheikah and her understanding of their culture, her own fears of being left alone prompted her to ask anyway, and Dark wasted no time in pointing out that spending some time by herself might benefit her - even though he wasn't so sure that he wasn't insane.

Out of respect for the difficulty of communicating his story, or perhaps just so she wouldn't have to deal with any more unwelcome comments, she didn't ask any more questions until Dark reached the part of his story where Link joined him. "I was just minding my own business, and he bursts into the room again." He shot Link a mock glare, causing him to smile. "Of course he seemed a lot more clumsy than last time - but no less of a threat, I guess."

"Wait." Zelda held up her hand, and Dark fell silent. "What do you mean, again? Link had never been in the Temple of Light before - I would know." She looked at Link, an unspoken question in her eyes.

"It was the work of black magic," Link explained. "Dark was still in the Temple of Light...but I was in the Water Temple, in the Room of Illusions."

Dark looked at him sharply. "That's impossible," he said. "I saw you."

"You only saw my shadow," Link informed him. "Just like I saw yours."

"Projection magic," Zelda muttered. Her expression grew troubled. "I do remember you telling me about that fight. It was powerful enough magic at the time, but now..." Her knowledge of magic was greater than Link's, and her fear was something he couldn't possibly hope to understand without further explanation.

"That connection doesn't seem to be gone, either," Link added, remembering his first few minutes with Dark. "I inspected the tree when I was in the Temple of Light, and not only could I briefly see the Water Temple, I was possessed by black magic and nearly killed Dark."

Dark nodded solemnly, not even taking the opportunity to make Link feel bad for beating him in a fight. "It wasn't the best first impression you could have made," he told him truthfully. "Or second, I guess."

"You are very lucky to be standing here. I have seen Link in battle. He is certainly a force to be reckoned with." Zelda paused for a moment, a small frown appearing on her face. "You have given me much to think about, Dark. I appreciate your honesty with me."

There was not much he could say to that, and he glanced at her briefly before refocusing his gaze at the floor. "I would like some time to think over what you have shared, but I have not forgotten that I owe you an explanation as well. We can resume our discussion tomorrow. Do you have a place to stay for the night? I could offer you rooms in the castle," she said, smiling at them.