Chapter 16: The Way The Wind Blows

"I'm sorry! I don't think I can help you."

Link stared flabbergasted at the eternally cheerful Deku Tree Sprout. It had only been some time earlier that day that he had walked along the path, skirting around the Deku Baba guardians by memory and stunning them with a well-aimed Deku Nut when need be. Optimistic when he had arrived at the base of the now significantly taller Deku Tree Sprout, he had recounted the same tale he told Mido, but now he was wondering if he had not rushed too fast into an explanation, or demanded an answer too quickly.

"Oh, yeah? Why not?"

As always, Dark could not be bothered to show respect to anyone, not even the guardian of the Kokiri Forest. Thankfully, the Deku Tree Sprout didn't seem phased by his behavior - though Link would have preferred Dark not risk offending him, just in case.

"Dark, hush."

"Did you really just tell me to hush? You sound like a grandmother!"

"In that case, shut up," Link hissed at him, having learned over time that Dark responded better to the rudeness he so frequently displayed - though, he would admit it was also partly because he didn't appreciate being compared to elderly women.

"I don't mind!" The Deku Tree Sprout interjected, and Link shook his head in response. "I cannot help you because I am not the Great Deku Tree. I am only the Deku Tree Sprout! I don't have all the same memories the Great Deku Tree did."

"Well, fuck," Dark muttered, and Link dug his elbow sharply into his side.

"What he means to say," Link explained with a glare at Dark, "is that we find this to be a bit concerning. Are you sure there's nothing you can tell us?" While he had not been expecting it easy to find information on wind magic or the map piece that matched it, he also had not been expecting that talking to the Deku Tree Sprout would lead to a dead end.

The Deku Tree Sprout's wooden face contorted, and Link could only surmise it meant he was thinking. "I can see the future like the Great Deku Tree could," he offered helpfully. "Wind is much like a song! Both can be unpredictable without direction. There is a device in the future that will wake the wind to your intentions. I am sure the Great Deku Tree himself crafted this based on his vision!"

Link and Dark exchanged a look, both peering around the Deku Tree Sprout to look upon the standing dead wood which once had been the Great Deku Tree. Tall and majestic, his widespread branches once provided protection for the whole forest - but now the thinning leaves offered only the slightest shelter to those who called the woodland home. Even when he was in his prime, the pair doubted he could have created something of that nature without significant help.

"If wind is like a song, could I control it without that device?" Link asked. "Or maybe even by playing a melody? Music is the most powerful magic I know." Though he both possessed and used other magic, the power of song had proven useful to him both for transportation and communication.

"Perhaps!" The Deku Tree Sprout sounded optimistic, but it was difficult to tell if this was because he truly thought that could work, or was just in a good mood in general. "It is important to remember that wind is an ancient magic! Not many alive today are likely to know how to use it. It may be a challenge to learn, even if this device is recovered."

"Well there has to be someone familiar with it," muttered Dark. "Unless the wind just decided to contribute to the Triad on its own." Despite the heavy sarcasm, Link had to admit there was an element of truth to Dark's words.

"Farore," Link said softly, though he knew even as he said it that the Goddess of Courage herself would not be involved personally in such affairs. "I know how to use Farore's Wind."