~Chapter 15~

~Sankranthi~

Isha's POV

The roosters' crowing serenaded my early morning awakening. Bhogi's playful pranks were a thing of the past, but Sankranti, the heart of the festival, was in full swing today! I brushed my teeth in record time and raced downstairs, eager to join the festivities.

In front of our house, Mom and the helpers were already engrossed in creating a vibrant 'muggu' – a beautiful rangoli design. I lent a hand for a bit, adding my own touch to the colourful patterns, before deciding to check on Rishi's place.

Anandi Aunty, Rishi's mom, was hunched over their doorstep, meticulously working on her rangoli. her house help always arrived late.Meera, her elder daughter, was busy with her studies at Harvard (what a brainiac!). Seeing Anandi Aunty tackle the artwork alone tugged at my heartstrings.

"Good morning, Aunty!" I chirped, rushing over to her side. "Can I help?"

Anandi Aunty's face lit up. "Isha, my darling! Come, come, lend me a hand. These rangolis can be tricky on your own."

We spent the next hour working side-by-side, our creative juices flowing. The final product was a masterpiece – a riot of colours and intricate patterns. I whipped out my phone, capturing the beauty of the rangoli and snapping a few selfies with Anandi Aunty, both of us beaming with pride.

Just as I was about to head home, I felt a mischievous presence behind me. Suddenly, a hand smeared a streak of purple across my cheek. Squealing, I spun around to find Rishi, a smug grin plastered on his face.

"Rishi!" I shrieked, playfully batting him away. "Leave my Isha alone, she's been such a help," Anandi Aunty intervened, her voice laced with mock sternness.

Rishi surveyed the rangoli, a whistle escaping his lips. He released me, and then ruffled my hair playfully. "Good job, dumbo!"

"Oh, it's on!" I declared, grabbing the remaining colours. With a mischievous glint in my eyes, I smeared purple all over his face. "Look who's the dumber one, dumbo!" I retorted, leaving him with a purple masterpiece of his own.

Laughter echoed through the air as I retreated to my house. A quick bath later, I donned a beautiful half-saree, a touch of makeup completing my festive look. Stepping downstairs, I found the house empty.

"Where is everyone?" I called out.

"They all went to Gautam Sir's house," Padma Aunty our house help, replied from the kitchen.

Knowing the drill, I set off for Rishi's place. As I entered, Anandi Aunty's warm smile greeted me. "Look, my sweetheart has come!" she exclaimed, pulling me into a hug. Feeling the warmth of her embrace, I settled down comfortably next to Mom on the sofa.

Sankranti was a time for family, friends, and delicious food. The day stretched out before me, filled with the promise of laughter, joy, and maybe a few more playful pranks exchanged with a certain purple-faced someone. Sankranti, with all its vibrancy, had just begun.

The festive spirit of Sankranti filled the air, with kites dancing like colourful birds against the clear blue sky. Here I was, on Rishi's rooftop terrace, surrounded by the joyous chaos of celebration. Laughter and excited shouts echoed as everyone revelled in the traditional kite flying.

However, my own attempts had been met with nothing but frustration. My kite, a majestic peacock with a ripped tail, stubbornly refused to take flight. After the twentieth failed attempt, I slumped in defeat, ready to concede victory to the wind.

Just as I turned to head inside, Rishi materialized beside me, a mischievous glint in his eyes. He took the kite from my hand with practised ease, his fingers brushing against mine in the exchange. A jolt of electricity shot up my arm, sending a blush creeping up my cheeks.

With a few expert maneuvers, Rishi coaxed the peacock into the sky. The once-grounded bird soared gracefully, a vibrant speck against the vast canvas of blue. He then handed me the string, his presence suddenly very close. I could practically feel his warm breath tickle my neck as he leaned in, guiding my hand.

The close proximity sent my heart into a frantic dance. I shouldn't have enjoyed it this much, this warmth spreading through me, the brush of his fingers sending shivers down my spine. I focused on the kite, on the way Rishi's chest brushed reassuringly against my back whenever the wind tugged at the string.

But the moment was fleeting. A call from my brother, Yuvraj, requesting help with his own kite, shattered the comfortable silence. Rishi's hand left mine, the warmth vanishing as abruptly as it had come. Standing alone, the playful breeze suddenly felt a little chilly.

A realization dawned on me, slow and undeniable. Perhaps what started as a comfortable friendship had morphed into something more. The way my heart leapt at his touch, the way I craved his presence – these weren't mere signs of camaraderie. As I watched Rishi help Yuvraj, a new question bloomed in my heart – did Rishi feel the same way? The festive celebration continued around me, but my mind was preoccupied with this newfound discovery. Sankranti, the festival of colours, had painted my world in a new hue, the vibrant shade of unspoken feelings for my best friend.

Isha's ootd:

Rishi's ootd:

(imagine the costumes not the people as our characters are really different from the faces in the pics

(imagine the costumes not the people as our characters are really different from the faces in the pics. BTW do you want me to add cast ?)

Author's note:

hey guys! how is the chapter? I really hope you enjoy it. do comment and vote . i am really excited to read the comments , so please do and let me know your feedback. thank you for reading the book .......

Spread Love💕💫