Chapter III

As the first century of the Targaryen Dynasty came to a close, the health of the Old King, Jaehaerys, was failing. In those days, House Targaryen stood at the height of its strength with ten adult dragons under its yoke. No power in the world could stand against it. King Jaehaerys reigned over nearly 60 years of peace and prosperity. But tragedy had claimed both his sons, leaving his succession in doubt.

So, in the year 101, the Old King called a Great Council to choose an heir. Over a thousand lords made the journey to Harrenhal. Fourteen succession claims were heard but only two were truly considered. Princess Rhaenys Targaryen, the King's eldest descendant, and her younger cousin, Prince Viserys Targaryen, the King's eldest male descendant. Rhaenys, a woman, would not inherit the Iron Throne. 

The lords instead chose Viserys, Rhaenyra's father. Jaehaerys called the Great Council to prevent a war from being fought over his succession. For he knew the cold truth. The only thing that could tear down the House of the Dragon...was itself. It is now the ninth year of King Viserys I Targaryen's reign. 172 years before the death of the Mad King Aerys and the birth of his son Prince Daenerys Targaryen. (see GoT fic)

Preparing for the heir's tourney was tough on everyone, however, Rhaenyra had stolen me to sit with Alicent when she went off flying on her dragon Syrax. Alicent and I often had long chats while Rhaenyra was taking her dragon for a flight. However, Alicent didn't speak High Valyrian as I did. But her father wasn't the leader of the Dragon's Keep. When we heard the familiar sound of Syrax landing, Alicent and I both stood to greet Rhaenyra's return. 

"Welcome back, Princess. I trust your ride was pleasant." Ser Westerling says to Rhaenyra from atop his horse. In my experience, Ser Westerling was rather fond of two things, horseback and keeping both feet on the ground. "Try not to look too relieved, Ser." Rhaenyra jokes a little and I smile at her when she makes eye contact with me. "I am relieved." Ser Westerling states as he starts his horse into motion to take off the minute the carriage does. 

"Every time the golden beast brings you back unspoiled, it saves my head from a spike." He states while Rhaenyra hands me her gloves. I noticed the hole in one of the fingers that I would get sewed up when I got back to the castle after I made the queen her tea. She had become dependent on my mother's herbal remedy and it seemed as though some days it was the only thing she could stomach. 

King Viserys had once been worried that the tea would kill his 'son' but then many servant women who had given birth to healthy babies came together and promised him that his son would be fine. In fact, most babies had yet to be infected by certain childhood diseases which was a further incentive for him to allow his wife the tea. "Syrax is growing quickly." Alicent comments, looking a little uncomfortable and the mention of the beast.

"She'll soon be as large as Caraxes." I added, admiring the bright golden dragon who reminded me of Daemon's great beast. Caraxes was Daemon's dragon and though he had tempted me time and again once he got back on my good side he disappeared again before I could take him up on his offer. "That's almost large enough to saddle two." Rhaenyra hints to Alicent and I. My eyes lit up at the through of riding a dragon. 

Both Daemon and Rhaenyra had told me about how thrilling it was to ride such a thing and I wanted that feeling. The feeling of total freedom. "I believe we're quite content as spectators, thank you." Alicent told Rhaenyra, shooting down any possibility of me riding Syrax. I could feel Rhaenyra watch my face fall and she smiled at me. "I will take you one day, (y/n) if that is what you desire." Rhaenyra says to me, getting my full attention. 

"That would be wonderful, my Princess." I say, curtsying as best I could. My mother became a lady to the queen which meant I in turn had also become a lady. But old habits die hard I suppose. We all climbed into the carriage and got settled, riding in peace as I pulled out my pocket sewing kit. I turned the holey glove inside out and stitched it up quickly for Rhaenyra before handing it back to her.

When the three of us walked into the castle, I split off from Rhaenyra and Alicent to go prepare the Queen's tea. I was still on wonderful terms with most of the servants even as a lady. None of them envied me for what had happened as it was the way of life for some. To become better than what others were born. I quickly made my way to the Queen's chambers as the tea brewed in its pot and I ended up meeting Rhaenyra outside Queen Aemma's rooms.

"Ah...Rhaenyra, (y/n)." Queen Aemma coos as we entered, Rhaenyra going first. Rhaenyra had changed from her flying clothes into a beautiful white and gold dress that was only accentuated by the gold jewelry that she wore. "You know I don't like you to go flying while I'm in this condition." Queen Aemma reminded Rhaenyra as I passed her a fresh cup of tea. I could see Alicent a small ways behind Rhaenyra, looking elegant. 

"You don't like me to go flying while you're in any condition." Rhaenyra reminds her while I help move the queen into a more comfortable position. Alicent greets the Queen while there is a short lull in the talking and the Queen greets her just as kindly. "Did you sleep? How long?" Rhaenyra questions her mother, going to sit on a chair by where the Queen lay. Queen Aemma smiles at Rhaenyra while I offer Rhaenyra some tea. 

She declines. "I don't need mothering, Rhaenyra." Queen Aemma reminds her daughter. I thought it was sweet that Rhaenyra loved her mother so much that she was worrying about every small detail. "Well, here you are, surrounded by attendants and (y/n)'s excellent mother, all focused on the babe...well besides (y/n)'s mother." Rhaenyra says and I could feel my mother smiling as she made Queen Aemma's bed. 

She had become Queen Aemma's confidante, the only woman who knew everything going on with Queen Aemma at every second of the day. "Someone has to attend to you besides (y/n) and her mother." Rhaenyra adds to her mother. Queen Aemma studied her daughter for a moment as a small smile crept onto her face before she nudged her daughter with her food. "You will lie in the bed soon enough, Rhaenyra." Queen Aemma states. 

It was nothing more than a fact. Women were born to bring men sons. Unfortunately, Rhaenyra was her only real surviving pregnancy. "I'd rather serve as a knight and ride to battle and glory." Rhaenyra informs her mother and I smile, refilling Queen Aemma's teacup as she begins to laugh at her daughter's aspirations. But as Queen Aemma always reminded her, they have royal wombs and the childbed was their battlefield.

"We must learn to face it with a stiff lip. Now take a bath, you stink of dragon." Her mother tells her as Rhaenyra looks mildly disappointed. I believe that men would never know how easy it was, to go through life and simply cumming inside of a woman would lead to a babe. Rhaenyra had her job as the King's cupbearer as I went to do some cleaning. Daemon had been gone for so long, being distracted with his duties as leader of the City watch. 

But as I continued with my chores and duties late into the afternoon, I found peace. Doing things for my mother, for the Queen, for other servants. It took my mind off of Daemon. But as I was taking some clean things of Rhaenyra back to her rooms, I heard people talking in the throne room. A man and a girl. I recognized Rhaenyra and Daemon's voices and I knew it was wrong to listen to conversations that were not my own. But I was already through the door.