Chapter VI

Sitting with Alicent and Rhaenyra at the tournament was a great honor. I did not have a favour to give a knight if he asked but I was still sitting with my friends. I decided to wear the blue dress that Daemon had bought me long ago. It fit like a glove and I was thrilled to sit beside Rhaenyra as she wore her own red dress. But Rhaenyra was late and now King Viserys was giving his opening speech to the people.

"Be welcome. I know many of you who have traveled long leagues to be at these games." The King says to the amphitheater of people sitting around him. I glance back only once to see Rhaenyra's red skirts under some chairs. I look at Alicent, in her own baby blue dress that was almost six shades lighter than my own as I sit looking smothered in the night. "But I promise, you will not be disappointed." King Viserys continues. 

I was glad when I saw Rhaenyra. She hadn't ruined the hair that I had styled for her. Her locks were still braided up into the crown I spent hours pinning to her head. "When I look at the fine knights in these lists, I see a group without equal in our histories." His Grace states as we all sat looking forward while I waited for Rhaenyra. My mother would have been here too with my sister, but my sister was with my Aunt, and my mother with the Queen.

"And this great day has been made more auspicious by the news that I am happy to share. Queen Aemma has begun her labors." The King announced and we all clapped loudly to celebrate Our King and his Queen. I noticed that Rhaenyra was wearing the necklace that Daemon had gifted her, the dragon glinting in the sunlight. It even looked as though it was moving. I myself had a dress high enough to hide Daemon's gift to me.

"May the luck of the Seven shine upon all combatants!" The King called and people continued to clap as the tournament began. Personally, I never saw the point. It was violence for violence's sake. And for enjoyment as well. But I clapped along and did as I was supposed to. "A mystery knight?" Rhaenyra questions the two of us and I shake my head. My curls bounced along with me as I smiled at Rhaenyra.

"No. A Cole of the Stormlands." I informed her and she shakes her head, stating that she had never heard of House Cole. I wrinkled my nose as Lord Boremund Baratheon of House Baratheon appeared below us. "Princess Rhaenys Targaryen! I would humbly ask for the favour of 'The Queen Who Never Was'." Lord Boremund requests. I felt bad for Princess as she handed Lord Boremund the favour. 

Then he was off into the tournament. Then Rhaenyra and Alicent began to gossip. Things I already knew from servant friends or from the pleasure house. Like Lord Stokeworth's daughter is promised to a young Tarly squire but only once he wins his knighthood.  And how there was a rumor that Lady Elinor was hiding a swollen belly beneath her dress. I watched happily as the Lord Pig Baratheon was knocked from his horse.

Rhaenyra beckoned Ser Westerling closer. "What do you know about this Ser Criston Cole, Ser Harrold?" Rhaenyra questioned him and I got to know what I wanted, that quenched the curious fire burning within me. I learned that Ser Criston was a common-born, much like myself, son of a Lord's steward. I didn't really care which Lord because he had just unhorsed both of the Lords Baratheon. I watched as the knights lined up and Daemon's arrival. 

I moved closer to the edge of my seat, my necklace slipping out of the collar of my dress as I leaned forward to get a better look at the Knights. Then I resettle myself. I wouldn't want anyone to think I was overly interested. "Prince Daemon of House Targaryen, Prince of the City, will now choose his first opponent." The announcer says.

I watch as Daemon studies each opponent. His horse was a magnificent beast, one I had ridden and selected for him. His horse was the fastest of all the Targaryen horses so I figured Daemon would take to her kindly. In the end, the first challenger he picked was Ser Gwayne Hightower of Oldtown, the Eldest son of the Hand of the king. I knew Daemon liked pissing off Otto Hightower, and had practically made it his life's mission.

I caught Alicent bitting her nails and I took Rhaenyra's hand who then distracted Alicent. I winced as Ser Gwayne's lance made contact with Daemon's chest. But he wasn't taken down. He collected a new lance as Ser Gwayne did and as they came back around to make contact, Daemon twisted his lance so that it tripped Ser Gwayne's horse. Horse and body collided together making an almost shattering noise.

Thankfully, neither Horse nor Ser Gwanye were injured too badly. I'd have been more worried if Ser Gwayne was being smothered by his horse. I couldn't help but smile however as Daemon came over to myself, Rhaenyra, and Alicent. "Nicely done, Uncle." Rhaenyra comments and he thanks her while I scoff a little. "That was a dirty trick, Prince Daemon." I state as I lean on my elbows looking down at him. 

But his eyes were not looking at me, they were looking at the necklace around my neck. "Now, I'm fairly certain I can win these games, Lady (y/n)." Daemon boasts before he leans his lance towards us and the whole statum seems to go silent. "Having your favour would all but assure it." He says, smiling at me. I glance at Rhaenyra before I sigh. Reaching up I pull one of the ribbons that was holding my curls out of my face. 

Carefully, I tie a ring into it, making a pretty bow as I would for my sister's hair. "I have no favour, Prince Daemon. But perhaps, this may suffice." I say to him as I slip the ribbon over the top of his lance. It falls until it settles against the handle. "It is perfection. I do like your necklace too, Lady (y/n)." Daemon says, shooting me a smile. I blush before I shake my head with a wide smile, feeling Rhaenyra and Alicent staring at me. 

"Don't you have a Tourney to win, My Prince?" I ask him and he smiles before taking off. As I turn around, I make eye contact with the Grand Maester. Otto whispers to me that I was to stay with the Princess. I nodded and remained with Rhaenyra and Alicent as we watched the knights tear each other apart. Knights dying for their Lords. I felt sick at the sight. "Ser Criston Cole will now tilt against Ser Daemon Targaryen, Prince of the City!" The announcer calls.

I swallow the bile creeping up my throat as Rhaenyra takes my hand. I'm sure I must look some shade green. I shake my head and rush off, hoping that I wouldn't be sick on anyone. I couldn't remain at a Tourney filled with death and bloodshed. I could see Daemon from my standing spot. And I could still see the bright ribbon I had given him around his lance but I could watch no longer as I make my way back to the castle. 

But the castle wasn't safe either. Queen Aemma's tortured screams filled the halls and I couldn't handle it any longer. I climbed upon a horse before I took off. Into the world that was quiet. With no blood and screams. Screams that meant that the Queen I loved was dying. And when I realised that my mother was still there, I returned to her because upon her tears, I knew. Even with a babe crying. The Queen was dead, but she had a son. Baelon.

And when Rhaenyra arrived with tears in her eyes, I comforted her. I comforted her for her mother, and then in a few hours, I comforted her for her brother. We never spoke. Just sat quietly, drinking tea and eating as much cake as we felt. In three days time, there would be a funeral for the queen and her son that lived only a few short hours. And I would be there for Rhaenyra and Daemon in any way that they asked.