Chapter IX

It had been almost six months since I had seen Rhaenyra while I learned how to be a great Khaleesi. But I missed Rhaenyra and I also missed Daemon. "I have to return to my home." I tell my father in a clear voice. I was still struggling with my Dothraki. "But I will practice my Dothraki and return soon." I promise him as I rush off to Ebony. It had been the first time in months that I had flown Ebony and we both missed it. Ebony was free to do as she liked. 

I landed in King's Landing in my Dothraki clothes. All of the men in the Dragons keep pointing their weapons at me. "Where is Prince Daemon?" I demanded them but they chased me out of the keep. I landed Ebony near King's Landing before I changed, Ebony shielding me from the world. I walked back into the city of King's Landing, everyone stopping to watch me as I went past. I supposed I was different now. 

My skin was far less fair than it had been months ago, from riding beneath the sun as the Dothraki traveled by horse. I had also cut my hair short. It fell to just below my shoulders. I had cut it after having it relentlessly pulled by the Dothraki men teaching me how to fight. I told them that I was a different woman than they knew, not born to be a princess of Dothrak. Entering the castle whispers followed me. 

That was until Ser Westerling came up to me. "The King asks for you in the council room." He says as we walk together. There was silence between us, but apparently not in the council room. They all seemed to be arguing about Daemon. Three knocks against the door and the place went quiet. "Presenting Lady (y/n) of King's Landing." Ser Westerling says as I enter the room. I supposed I was much changed since I had last seen them. 

Rhaenyra was different too. She looked more mature. "Your Grace." I say curtsying to the King. He said nothing for a moment, then spoke. "Where have you been?" He demanded and I stood back up. I wasn't going to tell him that I was an enemy of King's Landing, but perhaps, traveling would be fitting to. "I have been everywhere, Your Grace. I had a fight with my Mother so I visited places I wished to one day go." I explained to him. 

He must have known that Ebony had left King's Landing. "On a dragon, no one can control?!" He shouted but I didn't flinch. There were more fearsome Dorthaki soldiers than he was and all the Dothraki soldiers bowed to me. "Dragons are not controlled, Dragons are partners we care for." I reminded him of the saying my 'Father' had told me long ago. But then again. Kalrion (l/n) was just a man against a King. 

"Why don't you take the princess and Lady (y/n) to see about the new Kingsguard posting, Lord Commander?" King Viserys says to Ser Westerling. Rhaenyra looked hurt at her father's suggestion. Something important must have been going on before I arrived. "A fine idea, Your Grace." He says to the King before leading us out of the Council Room. Had I still been in Vaes Dothrak, no one would have ordered me out of the council rooms.

No one would have ordered me anywhere. But I had decided to come home, which meant lowering myself away from future Khaleesi and back to Lady. Rhaenyra too was less than pleased to be led away to do a simple knight picking. I had grown while out living with the Dothraki, which meant I was taller than Rhaenyra now. I hadn't realized how much taller until Rhaenyra stepped on a stool so she could see the knights while I did not require one. 

When she stood on the raised platform, she was just taller than me as the stool was nearly 4 inches off the ground. We started with Ser Desmond Caron, a fine knight who had proved strong and steady in both the tourney lists and without them too. Though I knew if he were to fight a Dothraki warrior, he'd lose severely. Apparently, he also brought a would-be poacher to justice, on his way through the King's wood on his way to King's Landing. 

Something I did not believe and by the look on Rhaenyra's face, she didn't believe it either. A person either poaches or doesn't. There is no would-be. Rhaenyra remained silent, still seeming displeased by her forced upon duty. "You might thank him for his leal service, Princess." Otto says to Rhaenyra and I scoffed loudly. Knights, always needing thanks and approval for services given outside their kingdoms.