Chapter 03

Mabel hummed a song to herself as she combed her hair back and tied it into a very short ponytail. It was a lazy Saturday morning, and she was finally able to breath away from her university. She had submitted all of her reports and assignments, and the only remaining work to be done was to complete her final year research report.

Even though she loved to study and read books, what Mabel hated the most was to write lengthy reports. Having a friend like Sally helped her greatly, because she knew that if she was on her own, she would never be able to complete half of her work on time. Sally was known to constantly disturb Mabel until she completed all of her pending works, and that was the only reason which drove her to finish her reports sooner, because she knew that then she would be able to stay away from Sally's troubles.

Spraying some perfume for her neck and her wrists, Mabel hurried back downstairs. Her father was sitting in his usual spot on the dinner table, and she sat beside him after placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Your mom will be back home today."

Robert said, turning towards Mabel and her eyes grew big.

"Dad, are you serious?" she asked.

Robert nodded slowly. "She sent me a text last night," he added.

Mabel nodded. She sat back on her chair and tied her hands across her chest. She looked down at her feet, her head tilted to the side, and stared absentmindedly as her father's words chanted across her mind. Mabel knew that it was not her place to judge her mother. But she wondered whether her mother could have been more irresponsible. Yes, she did not know the reason for her mother to get away from her home for one week but knowing that she had a family waiting back for her at home, Mabel thought that her mother should at least have the courtesy to let them know that she would not be home. She knew that her mother had had some troubles at her work place, and she even brought it into their home and had remained gloomy for the entire week with the two of them, but she also knew that both her father and she deserved better treatment from her mother.

"Don't think too much, Mabe. You know about your mother." Robert said, patting Mabel's arm and she turned towards him. She nodded, beaming wide to cover up her wandering mind and smiled at her father.

"I am not, dad." She said. Robert patted her arm once more and he smiled, opening the newspaper in front of him.

Taking that as her cue to leave, Mabel slowly pushed her chair back and went into the living room. She sat across the sofa and pulled her laptop towards her and switched it on and hid herself behind a book until the Windows booted, to absorb her mind in some reading.

Mabel did not know for how long she had been working and reading, but it was past ten when she finally looked up. She had heard a low rumble of a car engine and had felt someone standing behind the door, and just as she was lifting her head up, she saw that person turn the lock and open the door. Her breath constricted on her throat, and she bit her lips as her eyes fell on the person who was standing by the door.

"Mom!" she exclaimed.

Sofia stepped inside and her eyes landed on Mabel. She did not look pleased to see her daughter, even though she was meeting her after a week, and her eyebrows formed a straight line annoyed at her daughter.

"Don't put your legs up on the sofa Mabel, please sit like a girl."

She scolded, rubbing her forehead, and Mabel shook her head, sitting straight. She knew that her mother would never let her live peacefully and she gulped the words that came across her tongue, which she knew would make her mother mad if she ever heard them.