Chapter 13

Edwin leaned back on his chair and massaged the back of his neck. Closing his eyes tight, he removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes. He was feeling too tired after a long surgery and was starting to look forward to having a day off. He was waiting to meet Mabel, and it had been more than three weeks since he had last met with her and had taken her to the bookstore. He had not been able to have a day's leave ever since then, and even though he had texted her and had even talked to her over the phone, it was not the same for him as meeting her and spending quality time with her.

Letting out a deep sigh through his lips, he sat straight on his chair and pulled the file in front of him closer. It was the reports of a ten year old girl who had to go through surgery to fix her broken arm from an accident and he had to remove the stitches on the next day. Going through the reports carefully he saw that there would not be any complications during the surgery.

"Dr. Parker..."

Edwin looked up as he heard a knock. Ms. Eileen pushed open the door slowly and came inside placing some other files in front of him.

"Dr. Brown wants you to go through these files and he also wants you to meet him now." She said.

Edwin nodded. He briefly went through the files and pushed the chair behind him, standing up. Taking his doctor's coat to his arm, he locked the door behind him and went towards Dr. Brown's room.

"Edwin!"

Edwin stopped where he was and turned to look at the person who had called him. His lips pulled to the side in annoyance and his forehead wrinkled with stress as he saw her come closer towards him.

"Hi Liz."

Edwin mumbled as Liz came to a halt beside him.

"How are you, Edwin?" she asked, snaking her arm through his.

Edwin looked grim and he hurriedly swept his eyes through the corridor. There were not many people, but Edwin quickly stopped Liz's hands before she was able to get a proper hold of his arm. He roughly pushed her hands down and took a step away from her, maintaining a good foot of distance between the two of them.

"I am doing good Liz, thank you for asking." He replied coldly.

Liz looked at him with confusion. Her eyebrows were furrowed, and she looked disbelievingly at him. Her hands were raised up, her palms open, as though she was confused about what he had just done.

"What do you want?" Edwin asked after some time, looking at her as she kept on staring accusingly at him. "Tell me soon, Liz. I have work to do and I am busy." He added, looking pointedly at his watch, implying that she was wasting his time.

"Er, I just wanted to meet you, Edwin." Liz said after some time. Edwin raised an eyebrow.

"Why?" he asked.

Liz shrugged.

"You have not been replying to any of my texts, nor are you answering my calls. It always goes to the voicemail, or the line is busy. I just wanted to meet and spend some time with my boyfriend Edwin, is that a crime now?" she asked, tying her arms in front of her chest, and raising her chin up, standing straight.

Edwin let out a deep sigh.

"Liz, you know that I am a doctor in the Emergency Department right? I can't have leaves frequently like you and spend time together with people." He said, rubbing his forehead and sounding annoyed.

Liz bit her lips and breathed fast.

"I know that, Edwin. But don't you have at least one day to spend some time with me? At least one evening?" she asked, clearing her throat, afraid that her voice would crack. She did not want to sound desperate in front of him.