Chapter 11

"Mabe!"

Mabel turned to look at the familiar voice as she turned the road to reach her office. It was early in the morning and as her car was in service, she had to take the public transport. Even though she knew that she had come to the office on time as long as she had come in her car, that day for the first time, she was running late. Though she did not want to turn to look at the person who had decided to disturb her hurried attempt to reach the office on time, she turned back to look at the source of her interruption, and her face automatically broke into a huge beam as her eyes fell on her best friend.

"Sally!"

Mabel exclaimed in surprise as Sally hurried closer towards her. She opened her arms as she closed the distance between them by jumping into her tiny body.

"Oh God! Don't kill me now!" Mabel joked but Sally chuckled, and she finally let go of her best friend after some time. "What are you doing here?" Mabel asked.

Sally shrugged.

"I came to pay a visit to my aunt who lives in the apartment behind that store." She pointed behind Mabel, and she nodded, turning to that side.

"So, what are you doing here instead of going to visit her?" Mabel asked.

"I came to see you." Sally beamed widely and Mabel looked questioningly at her.

"You don't sound so good." She said doubtfully. She knew her best friend too much to know that she was not someone who would not cause trouble for her.

"Yes, you are correct. I wanted to tell you something." Sally said.

Mabel bit her lips and looked at her watch. It was already three minutes past nine o' clock, and she looked up at her office.

"Sal, can't it wait? I am running late today." She asked, looking apologetically at her best friend. Sally's face fell. She bit her lips and turned away from Mabel, tying her hands around her chest. Mabel knew that she was feeling crossed and scolding herself, she put on a bright smile to her face and shook Sally, taking hold of her elbow.

"It's okay. Just tell me what it is." Mabel said, hating herself for not being able to stop herself from pleasing others, even though it costs her own inner peace of doing so.

She waited to look at Sally, and she turned towards her friend, beaming with all of her teeth on display.

"I am going on a trip with my family this weekend. Why don't you join us?" she asked hopefully, holding Mabel's arms.

Mabel's face fell. She really wanted to take a break from everything that was happening around her, but she knew that she would never be able to let go of her life, even though however badly she wanted to get away from it. Her father was coping alone now, without much of Mabel's help. Even if she did not be his tail as she had been a few days ago, she knew that she could not ignore him completely and go away. The family environment at her home has not improved much lately, but she was still maintaining a good relationship with both of her parents, being careful to not to cross each other's path together.

Letting out a heavy sigh, Mabel shook her head.

"I would really love to, Sally, but I can't." she said. She saw Sally's face grow dark.

"Why?" she asked.

Mabel shrugged. "I am busy, and I have to take my dad to the hospital next weekend." She said. Sally nodded slowly, even though Mabel knew that she was not convinced.

"How is he now?" she asked.

"He is coping well."

Sally nodded.