Chapter 14

Mabel was feeling ecstatic. She was waiting in line to receive her graduation certificate. She had passed her degree with a second class upper division, and she was the next in line to walk on to the stage. Trying to contain her happiness inside her, she scanned the crowd to see where her father was sitting. It did not take long for her to find him, and she beamed when he raised his eyebrows at her and nodded, smiling. Her eyes automatically moved towards the empty seat on his side. Even though she felt the usual pain come to the empty space in her heart, she did not try to give in to her emotions. Her mother had said that she would attend her convocation after her meeting with the CEO, but for Mabel it looked as though either her mother's meeting was still going on or she had forgotten about her daughter's special day.

"Ms. M Williams"

Putting her chin out and keeping her head straight, Mabel climbed the steps and walked towards the Chancellor.

"Congratulations!"

"Thank you, sir."

Mabel smiled with the old man and beamed to the camera. Looking at the Chancellor once more, she smiled at him and walked away from the stage, as the next person came to collect his certificate.

"Mabe!!"

Mabel turned in time to see her best friend leap towards her and she chuckled when Sally tightened her arms around her shoulders. Mabel saw her father smile, shaking his head looking at the two friends.

"We are graduates now Mabe! Can you believe that?" Sally screeched, finally letting go of Mabel and beaming widely. Mabel nodded laughing and patted Sally on her shoulder.

"Don't you think it's time that you looked for a job now?" she asked. Sally shook her head.

"I don't think so. I am still in my prime." She said.

Mabel shook her head in disappointment.

"Don't you think it's time to find a boyfriend?" Sally asked in return. Mabel bit her tongue and tried to hide the smile on her face, as his face came into her mind.

"Oho! Are you hiding something from me Mabe?" Sally asked, bumping her shoulder with Mabel, but she shook her head, closing her eyes. She was finding it very difficult to not think about Juvenal these days. Her mind was also not making matters easy for her, because every waking second her mind wanders easily towards him. When she sleeps, she finds her dreams filled with him and even when she closes her eyes, she could only see his face in her mind's eye .

"You can't hide anything from me, Mabe."

Sally's voice brought Mabel back to the conversation. She turned to look quizzically at her, and Sally pointed at someone behind Mabel with her chin.

"Your prince charming is coming your way." She said, winking at Mabel.

"What?" Mabel looked confusedly at Sally and turned to look at whom she was pointing at. Even though he had wanted to come to the convocation, she knew that Juvenal would not come because he was busy at work in the morning. Let alone by being employed at the café, he was even working as an actor for part time in a drama production house. Mabel wondered who had Sally addressed as her prince charming and her face lit up when her eyes fell on the man who was coming towards her. Mabel shook her head. Sally never learned how to not be annoying.

"Hey Eddie."

Mabel smiled as Edwin reached her.

"Hey Mabe..." Edwin smiled at her. "Hello uncle," he waved his hand at Robert, who was standing beside Mabel. Robert nodded at him and turned to look at Mabel.