Chapter Five: The long Game II

After a little bit the Doctor stood up and said something about having to access the mainframe. Solaris had no idea what that meant but Rose, Cathica and her still followed him out of the room.

They arrived at a weird sort of door, away from the main area of the big room with the food stalls, and the Doctor started using his Sonic screwdriver on it.

"We're so gonna get in trouble" Cathica said looking around concerned "You're not allowed to touch the mainframe, we'll get told off"

"Rose, tell her to button it" the Doctor said not stopping.

"You can't vandalise the place, someone's gonna notice!" she continued complaining, as the Doctor managed to open the door.

"This is nothing to do with me, I'm going back to work" Cathica now said turning away.

"Go on then, see ya!" Solaris said after her, having a feeling she won't just leave them. Meanwhile the Doctor did something with the cables that were behind the door.

"If you want to be useful, get them to turn the heating down, it's boiling" Rose now said and Solaris was feeling quite warm aswell. "What's wrong with this place, can't we do something about it?"

"We keep asking. Something to do with the turbines" Cathica replied.

" 'Something to do with the turbines' " the Doctor repeated her mockingly.

"I don't know!"

"Exactly! I give up on you, Cathica. Now Rose, look at Rose is asking the right kind of questions" the Doctor said.

Smiling a little Rose replied "I thank you" and the Doctor repeated "Why is it so hot?"

"One minute you worry about the Empire, the next it's the central heating!" Cathica said and Solaris was getting a litttle annoyed at her just complaining and not helping at all.

"Oh, never underestimate plumbing. Plumbing's very important!" the Doctor said as he ripped out a bundle of wires.

"Here we go. Satellite Five. Pipes and plumbing. Look at the layout" the Doctor said pulling out a screen showing the outlines and plumbing of Satellite 5.

"This is ridiculous!" Cathica said looking at the screen "You've got access to the computers core. You could look at the archive, the news, the stock exchange... And you're looking at pipes?"

"But there's something wrong." the Doctor said.

"I suppose..." Cathica replied looking more closely at the screen.

"Why, what's going on?" Solaris asked also looking at the screen not seeing anything wrong.

"The ventilation system. Cooling ducts. Ice filters. All working flat out. Channelling massive amounts of heat down." Cathica explained looking upwards.

All the way from the top" the Doctor said.

"Floor 500" Rose and Solaris added in unison.

"Something up there is generating tons and tons of heat" the Doctor explained further.

"Well, I don't know about you but I feel like I'm missing out on a party" Rose now said and Solaris agreed, because if something's going on on floor 500, something bad then that is where they needed to be. "It's all going on upstairs."

"Anyone up for a trip?" Solaris asked wanting to go up there altough also being slightly afraid, but that wasn't going to stop her.

"You can't, you need a key." Cathica replied.

"Keys are just codes. And I've got the codes right here. Here we go." he said and started tapping on the screen "Override 215.9" as he did this the numbers on the screen changed and then set showing the code.