Chapter 8 - A fight for survival

"Pawns are just pawns?" Nathanael repeated the words that the man mentioned who now introduced himself as Zefiro.

"Hey! Nath, let's go." Mei calls him out. They are not safe here anymore, though technically they are because of the wall that Alcor created and he trusts Alcor enough that he knows he won't let harms way come to him.

When the barrage of blade like winds attack hits, Nathanael could hear people crying for help and agonizing in pain, once again his mind went blank.

The agonizing cries of the people made him remember his family, his friends. What if it were their cries? What can he do, what could he do? Although he is not on good terms with them, somehow he doesn't understand but he still cares for them, and what scares him the most is... 'What if they die?' the thought made him want to face the dangers in order to keep them safe, and understand the feeling of why he will lament if ever danger befalls them.

His breathing slowly speeds up from the noises that he hears his mind muffled, then he remembers the person who saved him and his co-workers "Alcor, can you help them?" he pleaded to him. "Their cries, they are just too agonizing to hear." he muttered.

He waited for Alcor to notice him, but he did not look back until "I told you before didn't I? My role is to guide you and I can protect you from those who prey on you but, they are not you." Alcor did not look back, he was speaking to him in his mind "I taught you how to fight for your own survival, I did not restrict you on how you want to use it." Nathanael's eye widen, it's time to finally use it.

Nathanael nodded, he knew he couldn't fight the enemy in front of him, but it does not mean he can't deflect it's attacks to save others. One of the attacks made it on their way, the demon not looking on their way and just keeps using his wind property to attack. Alcor did not use his ability and the wall made of chains has now disappeared which gave worried expressions to Mei and Fernand.

He knew that at that time. It meant that Alcor trusts him that he can now be able to execute everything properly and be able to protect himself.

"Let's go!" Fernand shouted and Nathanael did let goes, he lets go of the support that he had, with a swing of his hand three chains sprung out deflecting the attack. It was not as powerful as Alcor's but it at least was able to keep them safe.

"W-wha?!" Fernand and Mei showed visible surprise, they did not expect what happened, the chains that saved them was from him is what they thought.

"Do you use magic or something?!" Mei said, one surprise after another is making their heads more confused.

Somehow being in this moment has mixed feelings within Nathanael, it is true that he, right now is very terrified, but somehow he felt exhilarated to be able to finally make use of his ability that he has acquired and with this he can be able to save everyone.

"Oh, what happened your highness, why are you letting down your guard?" Zefiro once again turned around to look at them when he felt Alcor deconstructs the wall of chain he made "Play with me for a little while longer, would you?"

Zefiro lunges forward to where Alcor is levitating, seeing it coming, instead of using his chains to deflect it, he dodges it instead. Nathanael understood why, it was because he has his abilities shared with him.

Nathanael felt bad that Alcor has to hold back, but I guess there are some restrictions being a Guardian Star, and with that he has to do his best because for sure Alcor is also expecting something from him. And Alcor does watches Nathanael's moves.

Since his attack was dodged, Zefiro then continued towards where Nathanael was instead.

Nathanael of course sees this, and the next thing he did, he uses the chains and entangled his feet and pulled him back. This is the only way he could think, instead of using the chains to deflect as his strength might not be able to handle it yet.