24. dysfunctional

5010 words

TW: homophobia

a bright melody fills the room, a song playing loudly from the speaker tyler has perched on his dresser. he sings along, his voice drowned out by the much louder one of the artist. his fingers fumble with the few buttons at the top of his blue button-down, carefully latching it closed as he watches his movements in the mirror.

josh had left early that morning, needing to get home to help his family get ready. today is thanksgiving, tyler's least favorite holiday. he's not particularly fond of thanksgiving foods and he thinks the way his family celebrates is stupid. the five of them (six, before his dad left) dress a little nicer than usual and eat the dishes tyler's mom makes. that's it.

they used to do more when he was younger, but that was with his dad's side of the family. most of his mom's side lives in another state, the others he's never met. it seemed like the more tyler grew to hate his dad, the less his own family came around. they must've started to hate him too, he thinks. he hardly misses any of them, though. he barely knew them anyway.

tyler doesn't like thanksgiving, however, he's smiling like a goofball the entire time he's getting ready. he woke up to josh this morning, limbs locked like puzzle pieces, a warm smile and sleepy voice greeting him. they ate cereal together, watched cartoons, and snuggled up until the moment he had to leave. they plan on doing it all over again tomorrow—what's there not to be happy about?

tyler soothes his hands over the front of his shirt, turning to the side to examine his outfit in the mirror. all of a sudden, his head snaps towards his door as he swears he hears a yell come from downstairs. could dinner already be done?

he clamps his mouth shut, straining to listen over the sound of the music, but he doesn't hear anything else. maybe he was just imagining it.

he turns his attention back to the mirror, already forgetting about it as he resumes singing. if josh were here, he'd probably say something about how handsome tyler looks. the boy smiles at the thought, snapping a quick picture and sending it to his boyfriend with a heart emoji.

josh's reply is almost instant.

josh 🧸:
so handsome baby boy

dinner's ready i'll text you as soon as i'm done

i love you!

tyler's heart swells, a tiny grin plastered on his face as he types out an 'i love you' in response. josh is so perfect for him.

he hears another indistinct shout coming from downstairs, his brows furrowing as he decides to pause the music this time. nothing follows for a few moments, and he's about to turn the music back on until he hears a man's voice, loud and firm.

a suffocating dread suddenly envelopes tyler, as if a lead weight has pressed down on his chest and stolen the breath from his lungs. he hastily shoves his phone in his pocket, his legs feeling like jelly and trembling as he bolts downstairs without a second thought, driven by panic.

from the moment he heard that all too familiar voice, tyler had known it was his dad's, but that doesn't stop the visceral jolt he feels upon seeing him in the kitchen. his eyes widen in shock and a chill races through him, making the hairs on his arms stand on end as if he has come face-to-face with a ghost. maybe he has.

his pounding footsteps catch his parents' attention, both snapping their heads in his direction. his mom is standing in the corner, a mixing bowl in her hands and her cheeks wet with tears. his dad leans on the counter beside her, far too close for tyler's liking. he opens his mouth to speak, but tyler is quick to cut him off.