19. i love you

(wait to start the song heh... for some reason it isn't showing up for me on mobile, but if you care to play it alongside reading the part it's i love you from billie eilish :p)

3855 words

a long-sleeved light blue dress with dark blue polka dots sits over tyler's frame. he lifts a headband to his head, adorning himself with cartoonish ears of the same color scheme. his hands glide over the dress, soothing out a few wrinkly spots.

he'd never worn a dress before but, hey, it's halloween. he can wear whatever he wants. besides, it's the most comfortable and freeing feeling to not have any pants on but still be considered appropriately dressed.

a knock at the door pulls his attention away from the mirror. ashley stands in the hallway, dressed as marceline from adventure time. she has an eyeliner pen in hand and holds it up, smiling.

"let me give you a puppy dog nose."

tyler is quick to agree. he closes his eyes as the felt tip presses against his skin, patiently holding still as ashley carefully draws a dog nose over the tip of his own nose. when she's finished, the sight of himself in the mirror makes him giddy.

"you look adorable," ashley says, voicing both their thoughts.

"do you think josh will like it?" the boy asks, his eyes roaming to his bare legs.

he has briefs on underneath, but what if the wind picks up outside? then everyone would see his bright yellow undies...

"oh yeah," ashley nods, "definitely. how you feeling?"

"big," tyler states, despite not letting himself look at his costume anymore because the sight alone is enough to send him into little space.

"sure," she chuckles, adjusting his headband. "is josh on his way?"

"mhm," tyler hums, grabbing his phone off the desk. the only downside of the dress is that he has no pockets.

he is about to open his messages with josh when a loud knock resounds throughout the house.

"that's him!"

he takes off sprinting down the hallway, feet pounding lightning fast as he stomps downstairs. brendon and ryan are there, the former dressed as ash and the latter dressed as pikachu. ryan is heading for the door, but tyler yells out to him.

"i got it!"

he beats ryan to the door, taking a moment to admire his friends halloween costumes. the door swings open, a cold blast of air smacking tyler as he takes in the sight before him.

josh stands with his hands in the pockets of his khaki pants, a dark and light green striped long-sleeve shirt covering his top half. a white collar pokes out from beneath the shirt, a black belt fastened around his waist. his face lights up at the sight of tyler.

"josh!" the boy exclaims.

"baby boy!"

he pulls tyler in for a hug, and the younger now notices debby standing on the porch behind josh. she's dressed as princess bubblegum. he smiles at her.

"oh, hi debby," he greets her, then turns inside to yell to ashley, "debby's here!"

he invites the two out of the cold and into the house, firmly shutting the door behind them. josh waits at his side, a big toothy smile planted on his face.

"ty baby, you look insanely adorable," he compliments, lifting the boy's hand to his lips and pressing a tender kiss to the back of it.

tyler's face heats up in response. "you think so?"