Chapter One

Ryleigh woke up bright and early. Mornings are her favorite part of the day because she gets to work in her bakery and make people happy with one of her treats. Since it's spring she pulled out a pretty sundress and paired it with white sandals. She brushed out her hair and grabbed a quick snack before stepping out of her house and towards her bakery.

Ryleigh flung open the windows of Magnolia Sweets. From the days of her childhood, she had harbored a steadfast dream of establishing her very own bakery, and at the tender age of seventeen, she transformed that dream into reality. With the arrival of spring not too long ago, she concocted a delectable array of seasonal treats to entice her customers. From the moment she unveiled her bakery to the world, it swiftly became the cherished local haunt of Serenity Falls, winning over its residents' hearts and taste buds.

Ryleigh beamed with pride as she surveyed the cozy interior of her bakery, Magnolia Sweets. The warm aromas of cinnamon, vanilla, and freshly baked goods wafted through the air, filling the space with sweetness. Bright sunlight streamed through the open windows, casting a warm glow on the display cases filled with croissants, cupcakes, cookies, and more.

Just then, the bell above the door jingled, signaling the arrival of a customer. Ryleigh turned to greet them with her usual smile, only for it to falter slightly when she saw who had entered. It was none other than Landon Ramirez, the town's notoriously gruff handyman. Ryleigh and Landon had a long history of disagreements and clashes. Trying to maintain her professionalism, Ryleigh plastered a polite smile back on her face.

"Good morning, Landon. What brings you in today?" she asked.

Landon shifted uncomfortably under Ryleigh's gaze. "Morning. My crew's been hounding me to bring them treats from your place. Figured it's about time I give in," he muttered, avoiding eye contact.

Ryleigh raised an eyebrow in surprise. It was rare for Landon to admit anyone else's baking might be worth trying. "Well, you've come to the right place. We have a variety of pastries to choose from. Any favorites in mind?"

Landon scratched his head. "Something simple but still tastes good. My crew's a tough crowd."

Ryleigh grinned. "How about our cinnamon sugar donuts? Always a hit. I'll throw in some lemon cupcakes too."

Landon nodded. "Yeah, that works."

As Ryleigh carefully packaged the treats, Landon leaned on the counter, watching her work with an unusual softness in his eyes. "Your creations do look pretty tempting," he admitted.

Ryleigh suppressed a laugh. "You never know until you try. Maybe you'll discover a new love for pastries, Landon."

Landon chuckled, a rare sight. "We'll see. Thanks, Ryleigh. I'll let you know what the crew thinks."

As Landon left with the treats, Ryleigh felt satisfied. No sooner had the bell above the door signaled Landon's departure than it chimed again, announcing the arrival of Ryleigh's best friend Sophia.

"I saw Landon Ramirez leaving with a box of your treats," Sophia said with a grin. "Looks like even the gruffest men can't resist your baking, Ryleigh!"

Ryleigh laughed. "It was only because his crew wanted some sweets. I doubt Landon cares much for pastries himself." She began wiping down the already spotless counter as she spoke.

Sophia leaned against the glass display case. "You never know...there could be more there. He did seem rather taken with you just now." She waggled her eyebrows suggestively.

Ryleigh rolled her eyes. "Please, Soph. Landon and I barely get along as it is. I can't imagine us as anything more." Her mind wandered to the romantic stories she loved to read, with handsome heroes who swept the protagonists off their feet. Landon was certainly no Prince Charming.

Sophia said gently, as if reading her thoughts, "I know he's not the type you read about. But maybe there's more to Landon beneath the surface. Don't write him off just yet." She paused. "Speaking of stories, have you thought any more about putting yourself out there and finding your own romance?"

Ryleigh sighed wistfully. "Of course I want that kind of love someday. But in Serenity Falls? The pickings are slim." She gazed out the window, no doubt dreaming up a different scenario.

Sophia smiled knowingly. "You never know, chica. Great loves have been known to blossom in unexpected places."

"Whatever," Ryleigh replied nudging her friend.

"I have work to get back to," she added seeing another customer walking in.

"We're not done talking about this but I'll leave you to work. See you later," Sophia tells her before walking out of the bakery.

As Ryleigh continued to work her mind couldn't help but go back to Landon walking into the bakery for the first time. Most of the time when they cross paths it's never friendly and always ends up with them arguing over the littlest things. She didn't expect him to be more on the friendly side. And to say the least, she hoped for more moments like that in the future.

Sure they had their differences but she believed that everyone is deserving of a second chance even if that someone was Landon.