Rule #11

Rule #11: Never have any conversations while sleep-deprived. Trust me, it never ends well.

Error lost himself in the repetitive movements of the rag wiping against the countertop. The soft touch of cotton on his hands, and the smooth movements of the water residue were enough to completely hypnotize him. He was mesmerized by the mindless chore, finding that only it could truly allow his mind to focus.

He suppressed a yawn.

Error was tired. Really tired. It seemed the toughest challenge he had been faced with in his life was trying to keep his eyes open right now. He couldn't spare himself the time to fall asleep, even if it were a short little nap. He had already tried that earlier, and it did quite the opposite of what he had wanted. That tiny nap he took in math class only added to his preexisting exhaustion. There was no winning against his sleep deprivation.

The realization of that was rather unfortunate, Error would admit. Especially because his heavy eyelids only seemed to continuously rage a war against his better judgment. His mind, which wasn't working right in the first place, was a deadly manipulator who tried to convince Error that giving into his tiredness would be alright. He knew better than that, and the vicious (but so very desirable) words his conscience whispered to him would do little to sway that opinion. He would continue his fight against his exhaustion, not only because it would be preferable that he doesn't sleep on the job, but because he had brought this torture upon himself.

Last night's patrol had done a number on him, and it was purely due to the fact Error stubbornly insisted on staying out. He was still fatigued from whatever that hero did to him, so that would add to his sluggishness, and he didn't actually get home until about four. That meant he got a good hour and thirty minutes of sleep before he had to indulge in the agonizing routine of preparing for school.

Error was not the type of person who could run efficiently on an hour and thirty minutes of sleep. Today was proof of that for him.

He hardly had the energy to do anything today. How he had even gotten through school was beyond him. School had seemed like a blur, and he was delirious enough that he could hardly remember a thing. He seriously hoped he hadn't completely bombed something because of this, that would make his self-loathing a thousand times worse.

He wished, more than anything right now, that he had been gifted with a little hindsight. If he knew how horrible he would feel after last night's patrol, he would've stayed in bed and tried again another day. Unfortunately, that was not the case for Error, and he would be forced to wallow in his miserable tiredness until the day was done. He supposed this was his own form of self punishment.

He couldn't count the many times he had cursed himself today for being so stupid last night. Even if he could justify the potential threat he would've stopped by catching those humans, it obviously didn't matter much now. It was all for nothing. The humans had escaped to who knows where, and Error was left to deal with the aftermath of his idiotic decisions.

There was a little part of him that wished that Geno had caught him sneaking out. At least then, even with the probable lecture, he could've gotten some sleep.

Error released a long, pent up sigh as he continued to wipe the countertops of the cafe with the damp rag. He had been at the rather tedious task for a while now, but he wasn't going to complain. He could focus on this a lot better than trying to attempt taking orders at the register. Ccino probably knew that, which was why he put Error on cleaning duty for the day.

Error certainly wasn't going to forget the remark Ccino had made when he first clocked in. Error had barely gotten his apron around his neck before Ccino smirked and playfully quipped, "Geno let you leave the house looking like that?"