one

"why are you acting surprised that i would cheat on you? i mean, you're always studying something and you never go out and have any fun. you never do anything i want to do because you're always too busy so i went out and found me a girl just as hot who does stuff with me. what's so weird about that?" 

a crazy thing to say to your girlfriend of a year, right? that's what she thought too.

and for a brief moment, that was the only thought that went through her mind. she stood in front of her soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend holding her phone out in front of her with a screenshot of him wearing one of his ugly flannel shirts with his arm draped around the shoulder of a blonde woman in a low cut top.

the worst part?

afterthought: the entire situation was a massive train-wreck and no word, not even "worst" could possibly describe this fact.

the blonde woman was one of her sorority sisters.

okay, so maybe not the earth-shattering revelation it once was to anna, but it definitely still stung.

which is why, half an hour later, anna sat with her college roommate and best friend, rachel, scheming. she came up with idea after idea on how to get revenge, albeit mostly unhinged and completely unrealistic.

every so often, she would burst out in tears as she processed the enormity of the night's events as she worked her way through her discovery, their conversation turned argument and the following confession of cheating on her now ex-boyfriend's part.

this led to a wave of anger washing over her and she was once again back to describing, in detail, how she planned for his truck to end up destroyed with the tires slashed carrie underwood-style.

rachel would occasionally reel her back in and ground her, telling her that she was too pretty for this and that she deserved so much better.

this would then loop the conversation back around to how anna planned to ruin his near future.

"how about...instead of cutting his dick off with a kitchen knife, you come with me to see florida georgia line in concert?" rachel questioned her from where she was sitting.

for the last few minutes, anna had been laying on the floor curled into the fetal position trying to relax her stiff body.

rachel was sitting in anna's bed, her legs criss-crossed on her plush, sage green comforter.

"what? i thought you were going with jason?" anna replied, sitting up on her elbows to stare at rachel.

months ago, rachel had scored two tickets to see country music superstar duo florida georgia line in the girls' college town of nashville, tennessee. but that wasn't the reason rachel had bought the tickets. she had eyes for the opening act: morgan wallen. the roommates had watched him audition on The Voice and rachel had rooted for him until he was eventually eliminated.

since then, rachel had been following his career because he was "downright sexy."

she had been planning to take her long-term boyfriend, jason and had been hyping this concert up since she purchased the tickets.

one would think that a little dignity would accompany attending a prim and proper four-year university but deep in her heart, rachel was resigned to the fact that she was just another sorority girl who would "absolutely die" to see her favorite singer in concert.

sure, attending college in nashville definitely had its perks and the unlimited country music was one of them. every friday night, barring work, testing and studying, rachel would grace broadway street and its glorious bars with her presence alongside anna.

but anna wasn't always like that. when she came to college as a freshman, she was strictly focused on studying as she worked towards her pre-medical biology degree.

but five semesters later, vanderbilt university saw her join a sorority and befriend her future roommate, rachel.

rachel's personality was the exact opposite of anna's and she only studied when she absolutely had to. fake id and all, rachel could be found at the bar before she'd ever be caught in the library.

and now the two meshed very well, with rachel being exactly the same and anna meeting her somewhere in the middle.

the pair had lived together for two years with no end in sight.

jason had always been around, and anna was actually quite fond of him. he treated rachel very well and she knew deep down they were going to end up getting married.

but numerous blind dates with jason's friends revealed two things: one, anna's love life was hopeless and two, all of jason's friends were idiots.

"i mean...i was going to take jason, but i feel like this is a best friend-mergency. i just know this will make you feel better. he'll understand. besides, morgan is a girls night." rachel nodded her head at her friend, silently promising it was okay for anna to agree to take jason's ticket.

"okay, if you're sure..." anna replied, still feeling the turmoil deep inside her.