Chapter 8

The sun had just begun to set by the time a new camping spot had been found. A well-spaced area not too far away from the outskirts of the village. It was decently hidden from plain sight, so it was just right for scouting and planning out the next move.

Starting a small fire, Zakuro boiled some vegetables in a pot with a bit of water for everyone with Retasu's help. Ichigo, Mint and Amai helped Taruto and Pudding set out the bed rolls while Pai, Ryou and Kisshu looked over the map of the castle grounds again. They were figuring out who would scout first.

"Maybe I should go. I know it best, after all." Kisshu said. Pai shook his head. "No, I probably should. If you're spotted, Kisshu, it'll be chaos."

"I can go with you. I have the best skills when it comes to stealth." Zakuro spoke from the firepit. The boys agreed with her. "We'll go right after we eat. And speaking of which..." She checked the pot's contents, deeming them ready to eat. "Dinner's ready."

"Good, I'm getting hungry." Ichigo's hand clutched her stomach. Crossing her arms, Mint let out a light scoff. "Ichigo, you're always hungry."

"Hey!"

"Calm down, or the food is going to ger cold." Amai softly soothed the two girls, who complied. Everyone was passed a small bowl of dinner, munching quietly and making small talk. Pai and Zakuro ate theirs at a steady pace, wanting to be ready soon for their mission. Pudding did little tricks like handstands and cartwheels for entertainment, which lifted everyone's spirits.

When the sun was almost gone, Pai and Zakuro were gone, promising to be back no later than an hour at most. Some of the group stayed awake for them, but others were getting tired and fell asleep. Pudding, Taruto, Ichigo and Mint were dozing away, tucked in their bedrolls snugly. Amai sat by the dying fire, staring into the little flames.

She wondered what would happen next. What they would do once they found a way into the castle. When they hopefully find a way to destroy Deep Blue and free the kingdom.

When all of this was over, what would happen to her? Would she have to go back home? Back to her awful aunt and snobby cousins? Honestly, she didn't feel like her own world was home anymore. Ever since Keiichiro gave her Kisshu as an ordinary doll, she'd never felt like she belonged anywhere as much as she did with the green-haired prince.

But she felt conflicted. Keiichiro was her only friend, so she couldn't just abandon him. Plus, she wasn't sure if she was truly ready to leave everything she ever knew behind just yet.

Amai sighed. "What am I going to do?" A very quiet whisper left her mouth.

A blanket draped over her shoulders, shielding her from the cooling evening air. Looking up, she saw Kisshu crouching behind her. "Are you alright?"

"Y-yes, I'm fine. Thank you, Kisshu." She thought about their moment earlier, and how they nearly kissed. She felt so compelled to bring it up, hopefully getting to have that kiss. But of course, the need to sleep was dominate, and rubbing her eyes, she stood up.

"I'm going to bed. Goodnight, Kisshu." He smiled at her. "Goodnight, White Rose." Returning his smile, Amai settled into her mat and submerged into her dreams.

Kisshu watched her sleep, a lovesick look evident on his face. Ryou, who was about to ask him a question, stopped as soon as he saw it. A quick glance to the prince's source of distraction caused the blonde boy to grin teasingly.

"Oh ho, looks like the prince has finally found his princess." Kisshu's head spun so fast that his neck nearly snapped. "W... what?!" Ryou patted his shoulder. "Oh, come on, Kisshu. That look is the look of love, and there have been obvious hints going on between you two."